Alcohol and Hunting

H

Hammer

A friend and I were shooting the breeze over the weekend and some how the topic came up about having a few drinks while hunting. I like to think that I can see another persons side on almost any subject. Not agree with it but at least see it.

I don't see how the two go together at all, he did not see anything wrong with it. Maybe I'm just getting old but I would prefer not to be around people drinking while hunting.

Am I missing something ???

Kimber45

Kimber45

One of our duck hunting opening weekend rituals use to be unloading the guns, loading everything up early afternoon, and cooking - having some drinks in the blind. Mind you we hunted a flooded field and never got “drunk” but even at that, probably wasn’t a great idea..

D

doolin

Eh to each his own. While deer hunting nobody I know drinks any. If I drank while deer hunting I would just get bored and fall asleep. Now bird hunting is different, when the sun comes up you can hear the seals breaking on bottles of bourbon. Very rarely does anyone get hammered while actually hunting but normally everybody does after the sun goes down. To each his own...

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Never done it and never will because I don't drink but I've known several to deer hunt and have 1 or 2 beers. Don't think just a few beers impairs them enough to be a danger with a weapon although it's highly frowned upon.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I used to deer hunt with a guy that would carry a six pack of beer in his backpack.
However he would also drink all the way to the woods and all the way home too.
Went with him twice before I knew the backpack deal.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

TreyB

TreyB

Never while I am hunting. When we go on duck hunting trips I would have a couple after the hunt. Never have been with anyone who drank to much.

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

our hunting rules are as follows:

ear and eye protection mandatory
when a person hits the daily "limit" , he/she must leave hunting area(dove hunting)

no booze of any type until gun is in sack/vehicle

no pre drinking/no drinking while hunting

if any of these rules are broken, the person is made to leave the area

no excuses accepted

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

I have never had 1 drink while hunting. Nor have I ever had a drink with lunch, then went for an afternoon sit. I refuse to mix the two. We use to hunt all day, go straight home or to the huntin cabin and have a few though. But I don't drink anymore. Rededicated myself and don't have the desire.

Crappie Luck

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Last thing I need is one more thing to carry when hunting.

P

PalsPal

I think I have been on 2-3 dove hunts where it was obvious that some of the guys had been drinking. We did not stick around.

We now only hunt where we control who is hunting with us, and we don't drink.

Forvols

Forvols

I don't drink hunting or fishing, after its done and back in camp or home. Yes good cold brew while cleaning what I got or just cleaning my guns and fishing gear then, got the crap scared out of me on this years ago in BATH county VA deer hunting as a teenager. Not me drinking but other hunters.

Andy S.

Andy S.

Hammer":30ky9n8o said:
.....I would prefer to be around people drinking while hunting.
I think you left "NOT" out. If so, I agree with you 110%, just not my cup of tea. I can PROMISE you my kids will not be around it while on my watch, that's not even a topic for conversation.

K

knightrider

No way people are irresponsible enough without alcohol!!!

iowavf

iowavf

I guess you'd have to define drinking more? Are you talking about one beer or drinking during the entire hunt? I don't think one beer going to make you irresponsible enough not to have a gun, sorta like many who go to eat and have a couple beers then drive. I'm not saying having a beer in one hand and a gun in the other is exceptionable either.

H

Hammer

Andy S.":1146k7h4 said:
Hammer":1146k7h4 said:
.....I would prefer to be around people drinking while hunting.
I think you left "NOT" out. If so, I agree with you 110%, just not my cup of tea. I can PROMISE you my kids will not be around it while on my watch, that's not even a topic for conversation.

Fixed it
Thanks

fairchaser

fairchaser

Disregarding the safety aspects of drinking and hunting, I don’t get having the desire to drink while hunting. That’s not when I want to relax or even get a slight buzz. I’m hunting and hopefully about to kill something. Being impaired just doesn’t compute. I really don’t even like fishing and drinking. I’ll have a couple after or while cleaning fish or during the evening after the hunt. I’ve never even thought about it. Fortunately our club strictly forbids it.

GreyGoose

GreyGoose

We used to drink and shoot alot growing up(surprised that no one ever got hurt or killed) but never has drinking and hunting been considered.Note that plenty has been drank after the hunt.I personally believe that what you do is your own decision ,who am i to tell you whats right and wrong?