Alaska Bear and Moose

Homebrewer

Alaska hunt has always been a dream of mine! Back in the early 80's a friend of mine whose husband and father of a great 10 year old son was working off in Alaska on the Alaskan Pipeline. She had told me that her son was wanted to go on the Juvenile hunt, I did not hesitate, I always enjoyed the hunt as much as the youngster did I felt like. So I picked him up and had him at my house for the night, next morning we went out and got a big fat doe, he has never forgot that experience.
Rolling forward, the young man is now 45 years of age, he moved to North Pole, Alaska when he was in his early 20's and has been very successful while there, he has a family now and a nice big log home. He contacted me yesterday and wanted to schedule a bear and moose hunt with him, his words was "to complete the circle". I am seriously considering it! You never know what a good deed will get!

Homebrewer

No he is not a guide, but he married a native and some of the family is, to my understanding! I
don't expect to not pay a guide and for stamps!

JimFromTN

You will only need a licensed guide or a family member who is a resident of AK if you are hunting brown bear. Moose and black bear do not require a guide. As for antler restrictions, it depends on the unit you are hunting. Some units have a minimum 50 inch spread or 3 brown tines, some have a 50 spread or 4 brow tines, some units are 50 inches or 3 brow tines or spike fork, some units are any bull for non-residents, and some units are closed to non-residents. Basically, you need a lawyer to interpret the regs. I would definitely jump on it especially if your friend has successfully hunted moose. You will have to get a nonresident moose tag ($400) and a nonresident hunting license ($85). I just got back from a moose hunt in AK. I saw 14 moose but they were all cows and calves. I did not see a single black bear. I would recommend waiting until mid September to go even though the season opens sept 1. The whole time I was there the temps were in the mid 60's. Moose don't go into rut until the first good cold snap. The bulls stay up high in the mountains until then and are very hard to hunt. The locals who kill one every year weren't killing any. I think I only saw a total of 4 moose in the back of people's trucks. The weather was just starting to get right when I left. Luckily, I have friends in AK so I will be going back next year in mid-September.

Latest posts