Alabama Turkey Outfitter - Hunt Update

Oak

2-Step Enabled
My son is graduating this spring and we are planning a hunting trip. I'm trying to locate a good outfitter to hunt turkeys early in Alabama as that will fall during their spring break.

Has anyone ever booked a hunt in Ala?

Thanks.

Oak

2-Step Enabled
Re: Alabama Turkey Outfitter

Thank you sir. Starting to narrow down the list. My top choice didn't pan out.

MrClif

I know several that have gone to Westervelt and have always had good hunts. Got a buddy that has guided there in the past said it was loaded with birds.

Oak

2-Step Enabled

MrClif":20n7lt2a said:
I know several that have gone to Westervelt and have always had good hunts. Got a buddy that has guided there in the past said it was loaded with birds.

Thank you. I've looked at Westervelt. They are a little higher than others, but seems like they have lots of wildlife and plenty of ground to cover.

I did find one that was non-guided (which is okay with me).

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and will post back with who I decide to go with.

Coldfusion

Yes I'd like to hear your decision and a post hunt report as well

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Setterman

Roost 1":3ah3qsl5 said:
Never hunted with these guys but White Oak Plantation has been outfitting turkey hunts for many years.

I worked there when I was in college, great people and lots of birds. There's several other good ones on the western side of the state as well. Can't recall names right now but can if need be

Oak

2-Step Enabled

I had several great leads and I've made several contacts and I've finally made a decision to go with Langford Farms in Autaugaville, AL.

http://langfordfarms.com/index.php

This will be a guided hunt but my son or I can do the calling if we want.

We will be going down the first full week of opener which falls during my son's spring break.

I'll post hunt results once we return.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oak

2-Step Enabled

We are heading to south/central Alabama shortly. The weather is looking pretty good for that area...just gonna be a little cool in the mornings. My son hasn't been this excited in a long time! I'll post results if/when cell service allows.

Oak

2-Step Enabled

Sorry I'm just now updating. Not much cell service in the area we were hunting. My sone

Day 1 - Lot's of gobbling! Ended up sitting under 3 long beards on our way to a fourth. This is not what we wanted to do, but we had no choice as the gobbled right on top of us. Gobblers went quiet after fly down, but we finally got on a bird at about 9am. He gobbled good for a bit and then went quiet. We hunted the rest of the day with only a break at lunch. About 30 minutes before fly up, we had 2 toms come in close. They ended up roosting right behind us in a thick mess of pines.

Day 2- Went back to the birds we roosted the evening before. Not a call was made while they were in the tree. Hard not to call when they are gobbling hard, but it ended up working out good. Birds flew down in a holler behind us and I thought it might be over for the morning as the hens were close. For some reason the hens waited a long time before flying down, which worked to our advantage. After they flew down, we made our first call. Gobbler responded way off in the holler. We waited for a long while with my son in front. We were setup in some of the thickest stuff I've seen, but he could see down an old road bed good. Finally after a while we decided to move down the road and setup on the edge of a field. Called just a few times on the way to the new setup. Heard about 3 gobbles total while they were on the ground, but the last gobble was closer. All I could see was my son raise the gun just a bit and then he whispered "there they are". He ended up shooting the strutter at 30 yards. 22lbs, 10inch beard, inch spurs.

I got out on the back porch the evening of day 2 and owl hooted right at dark. Had 2 birds gobble. One close!

Day 3 - The morning found us sitting across the field from the birds I had roosted the day before. They gobbled good, gave us a long show with hens and then finally broke towards us. My son picked the lead tom and made a good shot at about 45 yards. 2nd and final bird down. 20lbs, 9 inch beard, 1 1/8 spurs.

I haven't had the chance to spend this much time with my son in a long time. I can't describe how good it felt. Seeing him take a couple good birds just made it even better.

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0408_2.jpg
    IMG_0408_2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_0417_2.jpg
    IMG_0417_2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_0384_2.jpg
    IMG_0384_2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,223

Simpleman.2

Oak":2s1tk06i said:
Sorry I'm just now updating. Not much cell service in the area we were hunting. My sone

Day 1 - Lot's of gobbling! Ended up sitting under 3 long beards on our way to a fourth. This is not what we wanted to do, but we had no choice as the gobbled right on top of us. Gobblers went quiet after fly down, but we finally got on a bird at about 9am. He gobbled good for a bit and then went quiet. We hunted the rest of the day with only a break at lunch. About 30 minutes before fly up, we had 2 toms come in close. They ended up roosting right behind us in a thick mess of pines.

Day 2- Went back to the birds we roosted the evening before. Not a call was made while they were in the tree. Hard not to call when they are gobbling hard, but it ended up working out good. Birds flew down in a holler behind us and I thought it might be over for the morning as the hens were close. For some reason the hens waited a long time before flying down, which worked to our advantage. After they flew down, we made our first call. Gobbler responded way off in the holler. We waited for a long while with my son in front. We were setup in some of the thickest stuff I've seen, but he could see down an old road bed good. Finally after a while we decided to move down the road and setup on the edge of a field. Called just a few times on the way to the new setup. Heard about 3 gobbles total while they were on the ground, but the last gobble was closer. All I could see was my son raise the gun just a bit and then he whispered "there they are". He ended up shooting the strutter at 30 yards. 22lbs, 10inch beard, inch spurs.

I got out on the back porch the evening of day 2 and owl hooted right at dark. Had 2 birds gobble. One close!

Day 3 - The morning found us sitting across the field from the birds I had roosted the day before. They gobbled good, gave us a long show with hens and then finally broke towards us. My son picked the lead tom and made a good shot at about 45 yards. 2nd and final bird down. 20lbs, 9 inch beard, 1 1/8 spurs.

I haven't had the chance to spend this much time with my son in a long time. I can't describe how good it felt. Seeing him take a couple good birds just made it even better.

Here are a few pics:

Awesome! Sounds like a great hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk