Alabama turkey hunting

elknturkey

AT Hiker":wvd6p5he said:
Nice bird! I was told this morning that some birds were making noise down there. Im headed there this weekend, just in time for the rain and cold weather....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just talked to 6 guys from west Virginia that are heading back. Didn't hear a bird. Said they've been coming the second week of April for 6 or 7 years and have heard good gobbling then but thought the warm weather might have had them cranking. Couple of other fellows are hunting private just north of here and heard 8 yesterday morning on the limb and didn't hear a peep in the same spot this morning. If you know someone that is hearing any better keep that under the ol cap lol. Oh and they got some kind of endurance horse thing going on and they are everywhere but think it ends tomorrow. Haven't heard back from Pickett so don't know if he's found some or not. Hit me when you get here and you can buy me lunch lol. I'm staying till Sunday then going to make a decision whether to head home or stay till Thursday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PickettSFHunter

I actually left this evening due to the forecast and needing to see my son. I did finally hear some gobbling and came very close to killing this morning. I enjoyed it but I do wish I would have waited a week or so to go. Where I live is similar in that we have "on mountain" and " off mountain" and "on mountain" birds here are always behind. It makes me think it's similar there as well.

elknturkey

PickettSFHunter":2g1erqym said:
I actually left this evening due to the forecast and needing to see my son. I did finally hear some gobbling and came very close to killing this morning. I enjoyed it but I do wish I would have waited a week or so to go. Where I live is similar in that we have "on mountain" and " off mountain" and "on mountain" birds here are always behind. It makes me think it's similar there as well.

Thanks for chiming in. Gives me some hope [emoji2]. I wish I would have came a week later and just hunted till Tenn opened but it is what it is. I have not gives the wma section except to listen in the evenings. I've got similar places back home where the birds will run a different schedule. Tomorrow is looking nasty and windy and cool Sunday and Monday morning

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Carolina-n-Colorado

I only hunt public land and I'm heading to Chocolocco next week. I'd be more than happy to share intel on Merriam's turkey on public land in a few western states in exchange for some good intel on Chocolocco. PM if you want to trade information.

AT Hiker

Got back Wed afternoon. By far the worse action in Alabama for me in 5 years. I even went South towards Selma, heard a few one morning but it didnt last long. Actually we only saw 2 toms and a handful of hens from the road the entire time, including our drive to and from TN. Very weird.

In Choccolocco the sun didnt come up until 7:30, that was a long 1 hour sit in the mountains.

Still had a great trip. Camping and cooking on an open fire is always nice.

Carolina-n-Colorado,
I dont have any intel for ya, sorry. But if your headed there next week surely they will be making some noise.

elknturkey

See I wasn't lying lol. That was my first trip there but from what I gathered this was a well below average year. Was there many people still hunting

AT Hiker

elknturkey":17drnvcq said:
See I wasn't lying lol. That was my first trip there but from what I gathered this was a well below average year. Was there many people still hunting

I had been before, actually a for the opener, and seen birds with plenty of sign. This year, not a track nor gobble. Habitat looks great, it just needs birds!

I seen maybe 6 trucks at Choccolocco, then the other WMA had about 10 people signed in each day with 3 birds killed so far. Its a lot smaller WMA and prob had more pressure than it should have.

I should have gotten ahold of you before I left, I had no service to pm you.

Latest posts