AL laws explained...Fanning/reaping

AT Hiker

You tubers and newbies be ware :D

From Alabama Wildlife;
We recently adopted regulations effective for the 2020-2021 hunting seasons, which included adding language to the Prohibited Methods and Devices for Hunting Regulation (220-2-.11) to clarify that the use of turkey decoys for practices such as fanning and reaping are and have been illegal. Legal turkey decoys consist of stationary sit on top of ground or staked in the ground decoys, capable of movement by wind only. This is NOT new. This is added language clarifying what was already illegal.

220-2-.11(e) states: It shall be unlawful for any person while engaged in turkey hunting in this State to use or have in his possession a decoy which has mechanical or electronic parts which makes the decoy capable of movement or producing sound or which can be manipulated to produce movement or sounds. Mechanical parts include, but are not limited to, decoys attached to weapons or handheld and manipulated to produce movement such as fanning or reaping. It is further provided, however, that no turkey decoys shall be lawful except during spring turkey season in the area of use.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I suppose this would not include tying fishing line to a decoy and making it move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Good for them, I like their way of thinking. Kudos to the Commissioners and ADCNR Leadership who had the guts to put it on paper and make it a reality. Win for the wild turkeys and sportsmen that hunt in AL. Thanks for sharing.

Rakkin6

I don't reap or fan I think it is dangerous a on public land which is where I hunt and honestly it just doesnt seem like my cup of tea. But on private land that you own I see no problem with it. But if it is illegal then it is illegal. I mean some states I.E. Kentucky allow baiting has to where here in Tennessee we don't.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

I do think it should be illegal on public land here in Tennessee for safety reasons.

catman529

There's a lotta hateful people on both sides of the argument... me personally it doesn't bother me at all that they outlawed it. I've done it a couple times and it was fun, but it's not the only way to kill a bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rakkin6

Yeah I really don't care either way since I don't do it. I just worry about the safety concerns on public land. Other than that I could care less. I think it is cool watching the videos, bit like I said not my cup of tea.

Levee Jumper

People crawling behind a gobbler decoy are crazy! If a Swarm of TSS # 9's to the face is not enough of a deterrent, I don't image a little legislation is going to cut it.

PalsPal

Mechanical parts include, but are not limited to, decoys attached to weapons or handheld and manipulated to produce movement such as fanning or reaping. It is further provided, however, that no turkey decoys shall be lawful except during spring turkey season in the area of use.
This part is not in the statute. Somebody in position of authority is trying to apply their own opinion. Would wildlife officials actually do that ;) ?

Latest posts