Air rifle ?

CATCHDAWG

This could be a dumb question but I will ask anyway. My son got a pellet rifle for Christmas to squirrel hunt with here around the house. It's a Crossman break action type that shoots 1200fps. The problem I have is that I cannot find any pellets that shoot accurate enough to hit the target at much distance. My question is would there be any reason why it couldn't shoot a bb instead of a pellet? I understand he would loose some velocity but I would think a bb would be more accurate? I know the gun is designed for pellets but I just don't see why it wouldn't shoot a bb?

CPerkins

I'd be careful using BB's in a break action if it is the spring type. Someone told me that there was not a tight enough seal and it was like dry firing it. What kind of pellets have you tried. I have always had the best luck with RWS and Beeman. Since you asked about BB's I assume it is a 177. Try the RWS Superpoint.

W.Seay

The RWS super point pellets are very accurate out of my RWS. At 60 yards I can shoot a 5 shot group that you can cover with a half dollar. The crow magnums are also very accurate. My gun is in 22 cal and both of these pellets do a lot of damage to tree rats!

chunkandwind

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Check out the yellow forums for everything airgun. Awesome site with great info.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

I like Crow Magnum pellets by Beeman. Heavier, not as fast, but they deliver a punch. you may have to try few different types and brands to see what you particular gun likes. Also with spring piston guns it takes a lot of rounds to get them broke in. The more he shoots it the better it will get.

I would suggest buying a couple tins of cheap pellets and some cleaning pellets. Shoot each tin, cleaning between tins. Then start experimenting to find what you gun likes.

pressfit

The most accurate pellet out there by far are the Miesterklugens.. I bought 3 or 4 tins of them a few years back.. if your gun is a .177 send me your address and i'll mail you a few to try if I still have some.. I shoot the crow magnums when I want to kill something...

Hunter 257W

Regarding shooting BB's, if that gun has a rifled barrel, you could damage the rifling seriously by shooting a BB. BB's are steel and are not supposed to ever be used in a rifled barrel.

CATCHDAWG

Hunter 257W said:
Regarding shooting BB's, if that gun has a rifled barrel, you could damage the rifling seriously by shooting a BB. BB's are steel and are not supposed to ever be used in a rifled barrel.
My old school Crossman shoots both and has a rifled barrel and drives tacks!

Hunter 257W

CATCHDAWG said:
Hunter 257W said:
My old school Crossman shoots both and has a rifled barrel and drives tacks!

I'm not sure about the Crossmans or Daisy's but the more expensive pellet rifles are not supposed to be used with BB's. I bet the cheaper guns are made with rifling dimensions that are somewhat compromised for pellets so that BB's can be used. Now that I think about it, Daisy did make some 880 pumps with rifled barrels back in the early 1990's so they were OK for BB's since the 880 was a multi-ammo gun that shot BB's or pellets. Still, I wouldn't put a BB down the barrel of a RWS rifle just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts