After work!

deerfever

I had on my mind to take the day off but when I didn't hear anything this morning I went on in to work. After work I decided to go check a place on public that I had killed a bird back in my college days. When I got there the place had been clearcut but I knew if they had left the woods behind the field that you couldn't see it could be a magnet for Turkey . I made the hike down to ease out and See an old Tom way up in the other end of the field. I hit the ground and crawl to my end as it's a big field. I got set up so he would have to come though a low spot in the field . I clucked twice on the slate and it was on! He blew up gobbled and headed my way. He was in last year's clover but on each side was old sage grass. I positioned my self toward the sage as I knew he would be looking for the hen and there wasn't one. I lost sight of him as he hit the low spot. The next thing I hear is the sweet sound of drumming and see a fan. I let him get to 35 yards and that was enough! He was all alone and ready to go. I noticed two lone hens as I drove out, I do believe some nesting has already started over here . Keep after them ! There is absolutely nothing like Turkey hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_193330562.jpg
    IMG_20210409_193330562.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90

Boll Weevil

Well done sir.

Question: Curiosity more than anything but what county is this bird from? The prominent white barring on the primaries is really notable. Many if not most birds wing bars here almost look like Osceolas...real dark and not nearly as much white as yours. Kind of like fan tipsI see on occasion; some are really creme colored and almost look like merriams.

Latest posts