• Help Support TNDeer:

After 20 years

RUGER

Supporter
I saw my very first Blue Jay in my yard the other day.
I like birds and I pay attention to which ones we see while in the yard or sitting on the deck in the Summer.
I have seen every different species I can think of except the one that was most common growing up out in the country.
No clue why as there are woods pretty close and several big trees in the neighborhood.
Saw one, then a pair in my neighbors yard last week, then just the other day I finally saw one in my pin oak in the back yard.
Never thought seeing a blue jay would be interesting to me. :D

There is your useless information of the day.

rifle02

Once many years ago I heard a woman on the radio say Blue Jays love to pick the meat from cracked Hickory nuts. While getting the kids out the door to school I picked up a few from our yard which was covered in Hickory nuts. I carried them over to a flat-topped stump set them on it and smacked them with a hammer then went back into the house. I barely had time to put the hammer away and then go back to the kitchen window and was amazed to see a group of blue jays having what appeared to be a hickory party! I don't often see them where I live now but at this time of year they add a streak of color as they sail across the yard occasionally.

Malo1ke

Blue Jays are one of my favorites. I have many on my place this year. I had a pair of Orioles show up last spring and that was very cool. They built a nest in a huge elm tree I have and stayed about 4-5 weeks before leaving.

RUGER

Supporter
I had a pair of Orioles show up last spring and that was very cool.
I saw my first one last spring as well.
There was only one and he was on my finch feeder.
I did some research and bought two different feeders, one with a cake thing and one with what looked like grape jelly for them.
Never saw it again. :(

KPH

When I was a teenager I hated blue jays when squirrel hunting they would be up dropping acorns out making me think a squirrel was up there. You are right I hardly see one now. I saw a couple back during bow season

DaveB

I have dozens. They ran the robins off. I think the hawks killed most of the mockingbirds as they are nearly gone.

backyardtndeer

See blue jays often here. Think the most frequent bird I see though are Carolina wrens. Seeing too many freaking woodpeckers here lately. Killing good trees, have girdled all the apple trees in my yard, and a pecan tree I planted 15 years ago that just recently started yielding good production.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts