Advice/opinions

godores

So I don't regret going hunting today at all. Beautiful morning and got to watch 15 turkeys fly down and gather all around me. That said, I normally hear about a dozen shots fired on the WMA nearby before sunrise, and today I have heard none.

Anyway, two questions I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on:
- do you scan continuously or do you chop your sight areas into pieces and spend time "staring" at smaller sections?
- is it better to make a bunch of noise real quickly when setting up or do you draw out the set up process and keep the whole thing quieter but for longer?

An example would be if there are a ton of dried leaves where you are hunting, do you move them all at the start quickly, slowly overtime, or ignore them and just try to be as still as possible?

Thanks!

Urban_Hunter

Many opinions will differ. I am quick and deliberate and try and get set a fast as possible. A walking deer that is 10-15 minutes away is not going to hear you walking or rustling leaves, but if you take 10-15 minutes trying to do it slowly he's gonna catch you. As far as looking around, i pan very slowly with no sudden movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AXL78

I try to wipe leaves away, etc. quickly when I get there unless there is a reason not to. I still try to be somewhat cautious about it. As far as scanning, I don't have a method. I generally hunt the same places, and over time know where I might expect them. Otherwise I listen. My movements differ, if I hear one slowly walking behind me, I try to slowly turn. Running/moving at a quicker pace, I'll turn at a quicker pace. And sometimes I wake up and pan around, then go back to a nap.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
like said already, I move the leaves quickly from where I am sitting at and when I am watching my area I just keep scanning all the time. The ideal is to watch as much area as possible with out moving to quickly so that you dont get caught.

TboneD

You have a few things to consider so it all depends. For one thing, if a deer catches movement or is suspicious of what it hears, it's likely to do a 180 or go downwind. More time you spend on the ground though the more scent you leave. And more time spent setting up the more time to get busted. It's a juggling act for sure. As for watching, use peripheral and move your eyes a lot more than your head. Stay alert and if you hear something downwind turn around and get ready since you'll likely get busted quick and need to shoot quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts