Acorns

Pilchard

Brentwood:

3BF892DF-2513-4A0B-8941-5E382C1F263A.jpeg

WTNBowHunter

I really like the MSU Deer Labs picture they posted on the timing of acorn trees dropping in the fall…it shows the progression and timing of acorns in the southeast starting with white oaks, followed by water/willow, red, cherry bark, shumard, and nutall oaks. Those are the common oaks found in the southeast but a good visual that when white oaks stop dropping there are a lot more that are primed and ready to drop.

…also helps keep those people (***cough cough***) who are mad about their farm being planted in cotton instead of beans…😡

BSK

I'm actually hearing from some clients in the worst drought areas that they're seeing a few acorns on the trees. I haven't been looking in the trees, but I check every branch blown down. Contrary to what I was seeing early in the summer, now I'm seeing not a single acorn. But we shall see. Should be interesting come mid-September to see if there are any acorns left. If there are, they will be a gold mine of activity, but certainly won't last long on the ground.

SuperJ

Acorns are usually loaded in my area. I try to stay out until I'm ready to hunt. Thanks for the update. sounds like it may be a good year to hunt.

MickThompson

Interesting observation. I'll have to go back and look at my records for 2008.
'07 was also a late freeze and statewide EHD year if my memory serves- a bad year to be be a deer. '08 was a year of plenty for the survivors. Wish I had taken a picture but I remember a persimmon that was so loaded in '08 that it doubled over into the road and unfortunately had to be cut

BSK

'07 was also a late freeze and statewide EHD year if my memory serves- a bad year to be be a deer. '08 was a year of plenty for the survivors. Wish I had taken a picture but I remember a persimmon that was so loaded in '08 that it doubled over into the road and unfortunately had to be cut
Correct. 2007 was the Year from Hell. Very late HARD freeze. It had been an early spring and all the trees had already leaved out. Freeze killed all the leaves. Zero acorns. Then we had a near record drought in the late summer. The heat and drought produced the worst EHD outbreak I've ever personally seen in Middle TN. Most of the region lost at least 30-40% of the population.

JCDEERMAN

Man, I remember the 2007 drought and EHD outbreak. I graduated college that spring and couldn't wait to finally be home to get a lot of hunting in. I remember having our whole place to myself day after day and never seeing a deer. I have notes but would have to dig through them. I just remember seeing a handful of deer during November.

Latest posts