Acorns

UCStandSitter

Big acorn crops are a double-edged sword for us. Big acorn crops draw a lot of deer to our property from nearby bottomlands once the crops have been harvested. We see our biggest season-long deer census numbers in big acorn years. But when acorns are everywhere, deciding where to hunt can be a crapshoot. Deer don't move as far, as often or predictably when acorns are everywhere. We usually have our highest deer numbers in a good acorn year but have our highest buck sighting rates in a poor acorn year, as deer have to move farther and more often to find food. Plus activity will be concentrated in predictable areas (near food plots).
For early season (aka freezer meat season), acorns are great for me. Keeps the herd predictable. I really just run a brothel through November anyway. Call me the Deer Madame

TNlandowner

My food plots are in horrible condition. I planted 22 September and have been praying for rain ever since. 0.61" total so far, which germinated most of the seed, but I doubt if the plants grow this fall. So I spent several hours scouting my Carroll County farm for food sources yesterday afternoon.

Our oaks have almost zero acorns this fall. I did find three white oak trees with acorns falling. All three trees now have stands nearby.

My chestnut trees produced more nuts than any other year. Almost every one of the chestnuts have been eaten.

My sawtooth trees produced a lot of acorns. Deer are hitting these two food sources heavily.

I also found several persimmon trees with a lot of fruit on them.

Our Hickory and Black Walnut trees produced a few very small nuts.

Even the squirrels will be stressed this winter. Is La Nina the cause of the 2022 drought? We received less than an inch of rain in May & September combined. I will be so happy to see this pattern end!

TNTreeman

I planted a good sized corn field July 4. It did great. I like to hunt it starting in ML into rifle. I planted some wheat and oats a month ago that never materialized. My acorns are decent but I'm thinking they will hit my corn hard for lack of browse and no green fields for lack of rain. Mother Nature is a fickle mistress.

Trnr

Rutherford public land has tons of reds on the ground, seen a few whites here and there, but nothing to write home about. Kinda wish I could load a bunch of these acorns up and ship em to yall lol

Dumbluck

I walked half a mile spot checking known trees for acorns this afternoon, very few acorns on the ground. Sawtooth Oaks we planted already dropped, didn't find any chinquepins (don't ask me to spell it, I'm gonna start calling them Asian pins and yall can figure it out), one big white oak that is barely starting to drop. I ended up over a persimmon in some standing browse. We will see how it goes.

North Williamson County

Last edited:

BSK

None on my area Humphreys, but a client across the river in Benton County said they have some Mountain Chesnut and Swamp Chestnut producing on the bluff face nearest the lake, and down in the lake bottomlands.

Headhunter

My buddy hunts a place near Waverly, he said he had never seen that many acorns, he said he is having a hard time because of the bumper acorn crop.

TheLBLman

I remain hopeful there will be a bit of an "October Surprise" regarding the acorn crop in Stewart Co.

Can't tell you how many times I've thought there were very few, only to have more than imagined magically start falling in late October. In poor acorn years (and it is that in most my areas now), I love to just be in the woods on those late October days when the wind is a bit breezier today than it was yesterday ---- just listening for falling acorns, as sometimes this can be the best way to find a "hot" spot.

Windy afternoons are also a good opportunity to do a combination "still hunt - scouting", as the wind can camouflage both your movement and your sound. Many times when the wind begins increasing a bit in the afternoon, acorns may start raining down from an isolated tree off your regular beaten path, and bedded will just get up and run to it. This can be a fun & productive thing to be doing from mid-day to mid-afternoon, especially if you can carry & place a portable stand to hunt a newly found "hot spot" for late afternoon (and often again the next day).

BSK

I remain hopeful there will be a bit of an "October Surprise" regarding the acorn crop in Stewart Co.

Can't tell you how many times I've thought there were very few, only to have more than imagined magically start falling in late October. In poor acorn years (and it is that in most my areas now), I love to just be in the woods on those late October days when the wind is a bit breezier today than it was yesterday ---- just listening for falling acorns, as sometimes this can be the best way to find a "hot" spot.

Windy afternoons are also a good opportunity to do a combination "still hunt - scouting", as the wind can camouflage both your movement and your sound. Many times when the wind begins increasing a bit in the afternoon, acorns may start raining down from an isolated tree off your regular beaten path, and bedded will just get up and run to it. This can be a fun & productive thing to be doing from mid-day to mid-afternoon, especially if you can carry & place a portable stand to hunt a newly found "hot spot" for late afternoon (and often again the next day).
I plan on doing some serious ATV scouting next time I'm on my place, looking for an isolated tree here or there dropping acorns. Last year, the acorns didn't start raining out of the trees until the first week of MZ season.

RS

We just finished up having some more timber cut on our farm in Humphreys Co. I plan to walk around some Saturday and look at some of the tops to see what we have. With the severe drought we had this summer, I can't imagine finding much in the woods. Earlier, I did find a couple of scattered oaks in, and around the edges of my food plots that had acorns.

BSK

Earlier, I did find a couple of scattered oaks in, and around the edges of my food plots that had acorns.
Same thing I found. A few trees with a few acorns right around the edges of the food plots. But beyond that, nothing.

Latest posts