Access Issue

Life at 20'

Okay so I have stands that are deep on top of ridges and getting to them undetected is flat tough. The bucks that I have on cameras use the ridges and saddles but seldom venture off the ridge. Anybody got any ideas about getting up to them? The walk is about 20 mins moving slowly...but I still jump them on the way in.

Poleaxe

I use the very bottom of the hollars to muffle my sound somewhat and help hide me as well. I've got trails cut out in just about all of them.

Jmed

There are some places on some properties that are just impossible to get to without busting them out. I have a place in Putnam Co. like that. Best policy is to wait till the rut or the rain. But during gun seasons, I would hunt my way in at first light. I think that's a better way to go than to bust a good deer off the property to never have him come back.

tree_ghost

1. Go in earlier
2. Go in later and still hunt on your way in
3. Figure out another way to access the location
4. If the above three fail then I would say your best bet is to abandon the set location and move to somewhere less intrusive on the dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I used to hunt a place that had a really steep ridge that drops almost straight vertical into the bottom below. The bucks hung that ridge top and I had a hard time getting to them. They liked to cruise or lay along the edges of that ridge. Going in across the ridge would alert them and they'd either run down the ridge in front of me or drop off the vertical side. They were especially attuned to watching for danger coming from down the ridge. I guess they figured no danger could remotely come close to them from the bottom up the vertical side and if something tried they'd have plenty of time to just ease back down the ridge. I found 2 ways to combat this. The first was going across the ridge super early like 3 hours before they got there. The other was to find a tall tree in the bottom. I mean really tall to where I could climb up 40+ feet. I also looked for any saddle cutting through the top of that ridge towards the bottom. Once I found a tall tree in that position I started getting close to bucks running the top and working through the tops of those saddles after does.

Life at 20'

Appreciate everyones response....Looks like the overwhelming response seems to be early and even earlier. Guess I'll be in the tree opening day about 3:30am.....:)

casjoker

20' is plenty high in a tree for me...forget 40-50...no way! :eek: Hunted a similar situation only two ways. Wait for really crappy weather and still hunt in or go in stupid early. I found stupid early worked best. Of course, I missed a bruiser after heading in at like 3 am. :cry:

Comes down to are the bucks worth it if so get out of bed and get up the ridge, if not sleep in.

grouser

Try going up to the point from downwind, when the family groups would be on the move and you might close enough for a shot before he is out of sight.

Life at 20'

The bucks are there, so I gotta go in..:) Just gonna have to take my time and go, but unlike last year, if the wind wind right, I aint going in.

Latest posts