• Help Support TNDeer:

Academy Sports = Empty

Wildcat

Drove by, once more, I "drove by" the popular gun store here in Paducah, twice going and coming from somewhere else. Both times the parking lot was packed full and people were parking in the ditches on both sides of the road.
Wonder if anything will still be there tomorrow.

Crosshairy

Drove by, once more, I "drove by" the popular gun store here in Paducah, twice going and coming from somewhere else. Both times the parking lot was packed full and people were parking in the ditches on both sides of the road.
Wonder if anything will still be there tomorrow.
I think that the extra crowds are even worse because of the stimulus checks, don't you? Folks that have jobs are out buying their wish list toys with the extra money.

Grainger

Supporter
How can you fire somebody because their customers are buying more than they can build? :) They can't triple their capacity overnight without building buildings, buying complete production lines of equipment, verifying that it's building conforming product, hiring and training new employees, etc. By the time they got it all up and running the panic would be half over. At some point when things calm down they'd have many millions of $'s worth of manufacturing investment sitting idle producing nothing for possibly years before the next big panic. Also the new hires would have to be laid off and all that training investment would be lost.

I don't think there is any big conspiracy or incompetence on the part of the manufacturers. The gun industry in the US is not a huge industry and they can't suddenly outfit the entire US all at the same time with new guns and ammo. They are set up for the normal demand and things work well at that level but when we all want to buy at the same time they can run full capacity and it just isn't close to keeping up.
A voice of reason? You're no fun....

Thanks for a reasonable explanation.

Wildcat

I think that the extra crowds are even worse because of the stimulus checks, don't you? Folks that have jobs are out buying their wish list toys with the extra money.

They did that with the first checks. Some still didn't get everything they wanted but $600 will only go so far in uncertain times.

TNGunsmoke

Jackson store has cardboard cutouts with pictures of ammo on them on the shelves. I guess just to show us what they don't have, which is any kind of ammo at all.