? About tax cuts and businesses giving bonuses

P

poorhunter

So there have been somewhere around 250+ companies either giving a bonus or raising their employees salaries directly because of the tax cuts. Even companies like Starbucks and Apple have said it’s because of the tax cuts. Question is, some of these companies are violently opposed to the President...why are they giving pay raises and bonuses and saying it’s because of the tax cuts, yet at the same time say the tax cuts are apoplectic?

M

Mike Belt

I would imagine that the answer involves their $ bottom line come tax time next year.

KPH

KPH

Supporter
They think their customers are against Trump so they say they don't like him when in fact they do.

woodyard

woodyard

A lot of them are doing this to retain employees. With the economy booming it will be much easier to lose employees and a lot are just trying to get ahead of the game.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
What is their other choice? Keep all the tax cuts/extra profit for themselves and look greedy? That isn't the image you want to present to your employers. I'm sure on their books they are only giving 10% or so of what they are saving on taxes to their employees. That $1,000 means a lot to individual employees, but not a lot to the company. Its likely the equivalent to a rounding error to companies like Apple and Disney.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
The companies are doing two things here. Using the tax cuts to help their employees AND to grow the company while a ton of regulations are gone. Once another president starts pilling on the regulations then the companies will pull back, that's why they are striking while they can.

Something else. With 4% unemployment they are trying to KEEP good workers.

TAFKAP

TAFKAP

Not my company....bunch of cheap pricks. Bought us out in June, and my end-of-year commission got cut by 1/6, then paid 2 months late

mountain man 71

mountain man 71

My company raised our insurance deductible 100.00 they must have missed the email about the tax cuts. :bash:

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
My wife’s company gave out a generous $25 annual bonus, meanwhile the owners added several thousand acres of land to their personal investments. And this in a field where a technical degree is required. They could care less about employees. They know their employees don’t have many options without relocating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
I have to brag on FedEx. We just got a raise in October like we do every year. And because of the tax cuts they are moving our 2018 raises from October to April. Plus they are adding $1.5Billion to the pension fund, but I haven't seen how this will be distributed individually. I'm anxious for those details. Depending on how much overtime I work, moving the raise up is worth a couple thousand dollars to me. Better than a stick in the eye.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C

Cache

Spurhunter":t5zlh8c1 said:
I have to brag on FedEx. We just got a raise in October like we do every year. And because of the tax cuts they are moving our 2018 raises from October to April. Plus they are adding $1.5Billion to the pension fund, but I haven't seen how this will be distributed individually. I'm anxious for those details. Depending on how much overtime I work, moving the raise up is worth a couple thousand dollars to me. Better than a stick in the eye.

I was pretty happy when I saw that Thursday. Channel 5 reported bonuses as well...

BigAl

BigAl

Cache":2bowpct6 said:
Spurhunter":2bowpct6 said:

I was pretty happy when I saw that Thursday. Channel 5 reported bonuses as well...
I work for FedEx as well. Until I see the details, I'll reserve comment on what I think about the announcement. I guess anything you get is a positive and I shouldn't complain, but at the moment I'm not jumping up and dancing.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
BigAl":1dyl410s said:
I work for FedEx as well. Until I see the details, I'll reserve comment on what I think about the announcement. I guess anything you get is a positive and I shouldn't complain, but at the moment I'm not jumping up and dancing.

I can't see any possible negatives here. What am I missing?

M

Mike Belt

I can remember getting a few of our bonuses or raises when I worked for the post office. They never were much but in a couple of instances they were just enough to send you into a little higher tax bracket and you ended up losing them all back to that.

BigAl

BigAl

Spurhunter":1tc1rl5h said:
BigAl":1tc1rl5h said:

I can't see any possible negatives here. What am I missing?

If you're hourly, I can't really speak to the impact, but a raise would have been better than getting your standard raise 6 months early.
If you're salary, they are including additional money into your bonus. Since we don't know the details, we can't tell if we'll be able to tell the difference between the regular bonus and the additional.

Back in '08 when the economy tanked, they reduced our salary by 5 percent. Compound how much of a loss that is over 9 years. I would have been more impressed if they had given us the 5 percent back, or at least a a part of it.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
BigAl":10dn6sgz said:
If you're hourly, I can't really speak to the impact, but a raise would have been better than getting your standard raise 6 months early.
If you're salary, they are including additional money into your bonus. Since we don't know the details, we can't tell if we'll be able to tell the difference between the regular bonus and the additional.

Back in '08 when the economy tanked, they reduced our salary by 5 percent. Compound how much of a loss that is over 9 years. I would have been more impressed if they had given us the 5 percent back, or at least a a part of it.

I certainly get the time factor of the 5%. If you get any info about the $1.5B pension money please shoot me a pm. We are assuming that since (by law) the traditional pension is fully funded this will go into the portable pension. Just not sure how. I'm 46 and hopefully 14 years away from retirement. That pension money could be big to me.

J

Jon54

I used to work for a guy that was as far left as you could go. He was a Dem through and through except on tax day. He HATED to pay a penny in tax.

7wsm

Wal mart gave raises but cut hrs I would like to sè mom and pop stores back and wal mart move on out

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

7wsm":si1b4ep6 said:
Wal mart gave raises but cut hrs I would like to sè mom and pop stores back and wal mart move on out

You may well get to see the second half of your wish as Amazon supplants Walmart, but Mom and pop are gone forever.