A Warrior and his son remembered

Bambi Buster

Many have seen this photograph; it has been widely circulated for reasons noble and vile. Not all know the story behind it. The courageous young man receiving his fallen father's burial flag is the son of Marine Staff Sergeant Marcus Golczynski of Lewisburg, Tennessee, who was killed in Fallujah, Iraq, on 27 March 2007. I did not have the privilege of knowing SSgt Golczynski, but will have the rare and humbling honor of joining his family and his Marines at his graveside this weekend to commemorate this life well lived.

The quote below is from a message SSgt Golczynski wrote to his family shortly before he was killed.

[color:#000066] " I want all of you to be safe. And please don't feel bad for us. We are warriors. And as warriors have done before us, we joined this organization and are following orders because we believe that what we are doing is right. Many of us have volunteered to do this a second time due to our deep desire to finish the job we started. We fight and sometimes die so that our families don't have to. Stand beside us. Because we would do it for you. Because is our unity that has enabled us to prosper as a nation."

[/color] Even though I did not know this young man's father, whose courage is forever beyond doubt, I do know him and his mother. I can attest that the courage so compellingly portrayed in this photograph is genuine and resilient.....and that it comes from both sides of the family. Make time today to contemplate the power of courage, and to remember SSgt Golczynski, his family, his Marines, and all who knew and loved him.

Stand beside them.

SSGGOLCZYNSKISSON.jpg

Crappie Luck

Staff member
No one who has seen that photograph will ever forget it. It is one of the most touching images I've ever seen.

God Bless them.

AndyW

Crappie Luck said:
No one who has seen that photograph will ever forget it. It is one of the most touching images I've ever seen.

God Bless them.

x2

If I look at it too long, my cheeks get wet. Bambi Buster, I know you will; but please, please share some good old patriotic love with those folks from those of us that stand with them.

Thanks for the post.

Bambi Buster

DaveB said:
[color:#FF0000]Kid's a warrior in my book[/color]. Prayers lifted for that young man and his Family.

He is indeed that. Among other attributes, he's now a goalie on his high school junior varsity lacrosse team. For those of you who may not be familiar with lacrosse, it's not for sissies.

WingNut

Mark's mother was my science teacher in high school and was also our class sponsor. I met Mark a couple of times when he came to visit her. From what I have been told about Mark he was a True American Hero and will not be forgotten. God Bless him, his family and all the men and women who serve this great country.

DaveB

Ruger-
Just wondering if you could move that picture to the In Memoriam forum.

BB-I trust you. Please convey to that young man that there are people he doesn't know standing with him. Sure appreciate that, thanks
DaveB

Bambi Buster

DaveB said:
Ruger-
Just wondering if you could move that picture to the In Memoriam forum.

BB-I trust you. Please convey to that young man that there are people he doesn't know standing with him. Sure appreciate that, thanks
DaveB

I note that at this point in time, the In Memoriam forum appears to be limited to TnDeer members who have gone on to their rewards. It may well be that their survivors and other living members wish to keep it reserved for them. I can assure you that this young man and his family would not feel remotely offended or hurt if the In Memoriam forum remains exclusively the province of deceased members. I'll leave that totally to the discretion of the site owners.

I will pass your kind words on to him when I see him this weekend. I may even share the link with him. My thanks to you and others for whom "I support the troops" is more than just a faded slogan on a bumper sticker who have posted here .

Latest posts