A question for Labrador owners...

416wbymag

I have been looking at breeds for a new truck buddy and have looked at GSPs, Setters, and a few others and worked my way to the lab. I am looking at training it to hunt sheds.

I have found a 3 month chocolate, but she is out of an AKC show lab, and the sire is AKC registered but he is not a working dog.

My question is, what are the chances this little girl will have a good nose and the desire?

I am thinking that I should wait on one from better lines, but she is really pulling on my strings.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

thetoolman

I have had 2 labs so I am by no means an expert. But labs by nature want to please their owners and can be trained to do just about anything you want them them to do. All it takes is a little patience on your behalf.

farmin68

I haven't owned a lab..yet. But I have researched them. I would be very cautious about buying most any dog out of show stock. The traits desired (large-framed dogs) in the show ring often lead to major hip problems. AKC has contributed to a lot of damage being done to dog breeds over the years.

When I do get a lab, the parents will be certified for hips AND eyes. I had a springer spaniel with bad hips and it is no fun to see the dog you love in pain and struggling to walk at 9 yrs.

Bullfrog

Depends on how serious you are about it. Personally, I wouldn't want one that didn't have parents that weren't hunters. But, it's in their blood. Being 3 mos old, you probably have a shot at a decent dog if she has a high energy level. You can take it out of em, but can't put it in em.

X2 on the hip/eye cert...

MidTN

Someone had a black lab on here a couple of weeks ago trying to find a home for him. I don't remember who posted the thread.

Little help.

rabbit hunter

I have labs and have raised them all my life. They are very intelligent animals. They learn quickly and want to please. It will take patience and consistancy. I have been working with my 8 year old lab to heard chickens and he does a pretty good job at it. I am not familar with the show dog, mine are hunt stock. Give it a try, if the pup is full of energy, I think you will be pleased. Remember, patience and consistancy. Good luck.

416wbymag

Thanks for all the replies guys. The biggest hangup is they want $450 for her and thats even without the akc registration. I dont care about the registration but for the price, I would think she would be. I am thinking I can get into hunting stock for that.

I have also been looking at the Chesapeake bay retrievers

Chaneylake

416wbymag said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. The biggest hangup is they want $450 for her and thats even without the akc registration. I dont care about the registration but for the price, I would think she would be. I am thinking I can get into hunting stock for that.

I have also been looking at the Chesapeake bay retrievers

the Chesapeake's are real stubborn and headstrong, I would stay away entirely from them

Chocolate Labs sometimes lack the learning ability of a yellow or black lab, even though there are many good chocolates out there.

make sure you get a "registered puppy" and if possible check the "hip certificate" on the parents of the pup, if they cannot provide this then I would stay away from that litter of pups

Phil1979

I've had labs all my life. They will do what you train the to do. They are wonderful dogs. Mine have hunted until they got to old and sleep in the bed with me and my wife. I love them. Just remember no matter what dog you get, it's all going to depend on the amount if time you put in working with him/her.

chimneyman

I used to own and train Labs But i have gone to Boykin Spaniels smartest dogs i've seen Check them out before you make a decision Great hunters and family pets

Mike Belt

Labs are retrievers. What they retrieve and how they do it are in the training. I wouldn't pay $450 for a dog with no papers. I've had labs for the last 23 years.

BlountArrow

I'm the extreme opposite of most guys here. I had a chocolate lab and she had to be the spawn of satan. Before you say it was my fault we took her to two different trainers to "straighten her out" and they both gave up after several sessions. One of them actually questioned if she was inbred or might possibly have some sort of chemical/hormonal imbalance in the brain. Unless the papers were botched she was an AKC pup bought from a seemingly legit local breeder. That being said, if I was so inclined to want a dog again for similar purposes you mention here I would definitely give a Labrador another try without hesitation and would definitely look into some of the spaniels too before making a decision. I've seen some interesting articles and T.V. "stuff" lately on different spaniels that sounds interesting.

SilverFox

Labs have been bred so much that if you're not getting it from a legit breeder with papers that he can show go back several breedings, your chances of getting a good one are slim.

Hips, elbows and eyes are what I would look for.

$450 can turn into $4500 really fast when it turns bad in health.

WMAn

416wbymag said:
My question is, what are the chances this little girl will have a good nose and the desire?

If she is out of of show stock, not a snowballs chance in...

416wbymag said:
I am thinking that I should wait on one from better lines, but she is really pulling on my strings.

You should wait. You will have to wait for any puppy worth having as litters will be booked well in advance.

I would also avoid a chocolate.

westtntoms

Man, everyone putting down chocolates..... :D

Maybe mine is an exception, I have 2 blacks, a yellow and a chocolate. The chocolate is far and away the smartest and most obedient of my group, the others are not slouches, but the chocolate is superior. I'd also add that my first, a yellow who has since passed, came from show stock. I trained him through an advanced obedience level and he was a fine hunting dog.

downwind

weimaraners.. after growing up with labs, I got one of these and he is right at 7 months old and smart as can be, only downside is he's not much of a fan of the cold weather but with his jacket on he survives in the duck blind with me. He loves traveling, even rides on the flatbed

redheadshooter

downwind said:
weimaraners.. after growing up with labs, I got one of these and he is right at 7 months old and smart as can be, only downside is he's not much of a fan of the cold weather but with his jacket on he survives in the duck blind with me. He loves traveling, even rides on the flatbed

I have a weim too. I love the dog to death, she is extremely smart and she has retrieved a few ducks for me. I have never seen a dog so loyal to one owner (not one family, one owner). But you have to work these dogs out unless you want a HYPER HYPER HYPER dog. If Chloe goes one day without exercise she will be wound up. Also, Weims like many dogs have been bred for mostly shows. Chloe is smart enough to know to retrieve the ducks but really shows no interest in doing so. She retrieves because I have trained her to do so, not because she wants to. Just some things to think about.

tickweed

Ive trained Labs, and Chessies, run em in hunt test, hunted over lots of em. For me, I like a female chessie, my last one I trained to a hrch title. Had some good labs to, trained several. Personally, and I dont mean to step on any toes, a chocolate is the last choice I would have in a lab. Not anything against them, but overall, you see LOTS more finished labs that are black, or yellow. Dogs are like people. all are different. Give it a try.

Rackseeker

I have three now, male and female black labs(1 year old-brother and sister) and a 9 year old yellow female. I had male chocolate back years ago. If it was me I would get a black or yellow female. They are really smart dogs, but will only do what you train them to do. Mine love to ride and expect to ride every day.LOL... They head to the truck everyday when I get home from work.

dr

I've got a black lab, 13 years old. His health is starting to fail, and he is the sweetest, best tempered dog i've ever owned.

Latest posts