• Help Support TNDeer:

A lesson from my own stupidity

jetwrnch

Supporter
I always wear hearing protection when hunting. This morning the deer came up on me fast. I was inside a ground blind with a new rifle shorter than I'm used to. The deer were less than 10 yards away by the time they were in view. I pulled up the rifle and shot when they were about 30 yards away. A few more seconds and they would be gone forever. Rang my bell really hard. I just dropped the rifle and held my head. Could barely hear for half an hour. My left ear still isn't right and both are ringing. I'll be lucky if the damage isn't permanent. I had ear plugs but simply forgot them in the heat of the moment. Just a heads up that a rifle shot, especially from inside a blind, can have lifelong consequences. Anyone ever done this?

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

brassmagnet

38 snubbie, 5 rounds, right ear rings like a fire alarm, also blew up a truck battery and that didn't help. Was blind for a month or so. Dang were tough back then....... Huh???

Hunter 257W

I can't imagine a single shot from any rifle ringing your ears that bad unless you had the muzzle inside a shooting house which may be what happened from the way you describe it. I've never noticed any ear problems from shooting a single shot while hunting with a rifle. Now shooting full power 44 magnums - that is another story - even one shot is painful to the ears.

A couple weeks ago I shot 2 deer in a row with my 257 Weatherby and there was considerable reverberations from my shooting house acting like a drum but it wasn't painful. I had the muzzle way outside the window though.

'borohunter

Good reminder for sure. I think we've all done (or will do) something like that without thinking about it. Hopefully no long lasting affects.

jlanecr500

Supporter
Not that you did, but that is the #1 reason I don't hunt with a muzzle brake. A few years ago I built a 300 wm and I threaded for a brake. I took it hunting (not in a blind) and shot a deer. After shooting,I took my ear protection off. Then I saw the deer get up. Dummy me shot it again and rung my bell. Lesson learned. No more brakes when hunting.

As for blinds, I never shoot with the muzzle inside.

jetwrnch

Supporter
Yep. Muzzle was inside. I sat im my usual spot which puts the muzzle of my 270 outside. This time I had a Marlin 336 35REM. Barrel is shorter.

LA man

I got y’all beat, I was about 12 when we went deer hunting. Stopped at a gas station to get gas and my stepdad was showing his new 30-30 lever action to his bil. He cocked it and it went off. Went thru the driver side floor , cut the brake line and into the shock absorber. I was sitting in the middle of the seat and it HURTED LIKE HE// In my left ear. That was 53 years ago and my ear still rings