A good duck shoot

Dbllunger

Every year I head back to SE Arkansas where I lived in high school and some of college to duck hunt with old high school friends. Sam, who is a close friend who owns and farms a good bit of land there always takes great care of us. We hunted this past Fri-Sun just outside of McGehee on some of his land that he doesn't lease out to other duck hunters and had a blast. The ducks were plentiful and the shooting was good. Friday and Sunday we hunted flooded timber and killed mostly greenheads and Saturday we hunted a blind on the edge of a flooded rice field and killed a mix of mallards, gadwall, widgeon, pintail and even one redhead. It was a great hunt and as always the highlight really wasn't the hunting but getting together with old friends and enjoying a good steak dinner and some sipping whiskey. Always good to get back and see old friends.

Anyway we killed 90 ducks total for 7 hunters over the three morning hunts. Day one was 36 ducks, day 2 was 38 and day 3 was 16 ducks. We could have had our limits pretty easy the first two days but we were all ready to head back and have a little breakfast. I don't think we hunted past 9:30 any morning and would head back to Sam's parents house which was converted into a duck lodge after they had passed away and have a big breakfast and hangout and visit the rest of the day.

My buddy Sam.
IMG_3920_20210123_102346.jpg
IMG_3927_20210124_085242.jpg
20210124_083626.jpg
20210124_083547.jpg

Last edited:

Coker

While the rest of us duck hunters are struggling to kill a duck, you go and post these pictures. I am jealous. ;) Congrats on the good hunt and even more on the get together with old friends. Hope all of ya'll continue this get together for many years to come. The comradery is what it is all about and the hunt is the icing on the cake.

Dbllunger

That's awesome man, I was waiting for the pics!
Congrats on another great trip.
Thanks. Ol Sam never lets us down. He and I and most of the others have all been friends for over 40 years now. Thankfully Sam's son has the duck hunting fever as well and always has. It's great having a couple of 23 year olds in the blind to chase down cripples when the dog isn't there.

WilcoKen

This is a drastically different description of a duck hunt than most others this season. Congratulations!

Knothead

Every year I head back to SE Arkansas where I lived in high school and some of college to duck hunt with old high school friends. Sam, who is a close friend who owns and farms a good bit of land there always takes great care of us. We hunted this past Fri-Sun just outside of McGehee on some of his land that he doesn't lease out to other duck hunters and had a blast. The ducks were plentiful and the shooting was good. Friday and Sunday we hunted flooded timber and killed mostly greenheads and Saturday we hunted a blind on the edge of a flooded rice field and killed a mix of mallards, gadwall, widgeon, pintail and even one redhead. It was a great hunt and as always the highlight really wasn't the hunting but getting together with old friends and enjoying a good steak dinner and some sipping whiskey. Always good to get back and see old friends.

Anyway we killed 90 ducks total for 7 hunters over the three morning hunts. Day one was 36 ducks, day 2 was 38 and day 3 was 16 ducks. We could have had our limits pretty easy the first two days but we were all ready to head back and have a little breakfast. I don't think we hunted past 9:30 any morning and would head back to Sam's parents house which was converted into a duck lodge after they had passed away and have a big breakfast and hangout and visit the rest of the day.

My buddy Sam. View attachment 66444View attachment 66445View attachment 66446View attachment 66447

My buddy Sam. View attachment 66444View attachment 66445View attachment 66446View attachment 66447
Hey Dbllunger, Where in Arkansas was 'home' ? Ever heard of Strong, AR or ElDorado ? If so, I bet you've duck hunted on Felsenthal. I grew up in Sparkman. My wife is from Strong. Im quite a bit older than you, but I betcha you and I have waded some of the same swampy bottoms and stomped the same mud.

Latest posts