a few tree pics

PickettSFHunter

All apples, to show some pruning and training that I do. This is not showing "the way" its showing "a way" of doing things, there are multiple approaches. I show 2-4 year old trees which is when training is critical IMO. Also remember you may need to some things differently, for instance, I have very heavy soil so I dont have to stake but maybe 1/3 of my trees. I also dont have to worry about deer browsing my trees that much so I may have smaller cages than some others. My main concern is bears and theres just not alot that will stop a bear besides a bullet.
I know some pics are hard to see, just hard to get a good pic of branches so sorry.

Wolf River MM111 3rd leaf. Very vigorous variety for me that trains itself fairly well.
SDC10309-1_zps15f62df4.jpg

Limbertwig Standard 2nd leaf. Will work on bringing those angles down more next year.
SDC10308_zpsbb4134e8.jpg

Unknown variety I grafted from local tree. MM111. 2nd leaf
SDC103072_zps040084f9.jpg

Arkansas Black. Standard. 4th leaf
SDC10304_zps294a812d.jpg

GoldRush. MM111. Very vigorous variety for me. The top goes well out of the top of the pic and its just 3rd leaf.
SDC10303_zpsd439bb0d.jpg

TNlandowner

Several limbs show good horizontal training, a task I need to execute with my young trees.

I noticed a few trees with severe bends in the main stalks.

What caused the trees to grow like this and will it hurt the tree in the future?

Great work and thanks for sharing.

PickettSFHunter

TNlandowner said:
Several limbs show good horizontal training, a task I need to execute with my young trees.

I noticed a few trees with severe bends in the main stalks.

What caused the trees to grow like this and will it hurt the tree in the future?

Great work and thanks for sharing.

Thats mostly where Ive bought a "box store" tree or a tree from local nurseries that use alot of branches as a selling point to uninformed customers. They will train for those 3 tierd trees or whatever you want to call them, not central leader. So I'll hack those and keep the most straight up growing limb for the new central leader. They slowly correct themselves, maybe not all the way though, not a problem.

Latest posts