A Day the Ra(i)nge

DaveB

Son and I went to MSSA for some accuracy checking. Took the 6.8 SPC II and bunch of bolt guns.

Our calculations were correct, not many go to the range when there is rain.

Bottom target. The 6.5 shooting 130's (Sierra TMK and Nosler RDF) on top of 39 grains of RL15. Walked in the scope from wayyyy right. Got some cloverleafs. To illustrate what I see with my right eye versus my Son's vision the bottom target with the 9 shot is his. Mine are the two bottom right same hole. So I am seeing and shooting the same wrong sight picture. Consistent but wrong. Son shot the 3 Nosler rounds
SAM_0280.JPG

Next up was the Axis 223 shooting the 70 Accubonds. This rifle was cloverleafing 60 gr partitions at 100 yards but I had some trouble getting the 70's to group. The very tight chamber allowed near-zero lengths over SAAMI specs. Not showing the targets where the 3-inch groups were the best we could do.......more than a few....and then we found a recipe.
SAM_0282.JPG

The 25 gr load of varget is 5 rounds.....We fairly happy.

This rifle is slated for trigger spring surgery (the second). Anyone have an aftermarket trigger they can recommend?

DaveB

No Varget in our AR15 or the SPC II. The 223 above is a Savage Axis. It is stupid accurate with 55, 60, and 62 gr bullets but for the 70 Accubonds it got really finicky. No type of powder or any powder charge weight produced anything but inconsistent results. Only tried Varget because someone here recommended it.

Pretty much same story with the 6.5 It absolutely would not group with any weight bullet or powder. Someone here suggested RL15 so away I went. The rifle seems very sensitive to velocity. Nosler says Rl15 is best for the 130 RDF. Problem is, I like 3,000 FPS not 2800. Still, with this accuracy we will stay with RL15 for awhile.

Our SPCII is getting just about unreal results with IMR4198 and 95 gr TTSX bullets but velocity is at 2700. We have no SAAMI numbers for the SPC II ornly SPC so we cannot jack up chamber pressure at all. And now it appears as though we may never get SPC II numbers.

Urban_Hunter

Where are you finding 95gr TTSX? I haven't seen them for years. I'm literally down to my last 3, about to switch entirely to 110 Sierra pro hunter.

Have you tried aa2200? I'm about 2850fps in my 16" and about 2950fps in my 20"

DaveB

Got the Barnes when Son ordered the rifle, at least two years ago.
Matter of fact got all of the bullets, brass, and dies before the rifle arrived. Using Starline brass
Have been searching for Nosler in the 6.8 weight but so far just zero.
Do not want to use Hornady but may have to.
Have not tried AA-anything.

SAM_0284.JPG

The

backyardtndeer

Looks like you got a good load figured out for those accubonds. I have been tempted to try varget when it has been available, but I mainly run 55 grain pills for the 223's and for those it is tough to beat 4895.

DaveB

No, have not tried the new IMR powders in any caliber/weight recipe. Availability and price are keeping me with my inventory.

Latest posts