A Bad Experience with Tennessee Wildlife Enforcement.

megalomaniac

Why would someone even bowhunt 50 yards from a state park in Nashville you already KNOW you cannot retrieve game from? Shame to see 'hunters' do this.

Like I said earlier, the 'hunter' caused the wanton waste, it's 100% on him. Those who would retrieve the deer regardless are not hunters, but poachers.

TheLBLman

Why would someone even bowhunt 50 yards from a state park in Nashville you already KNOW you cannot retrieve game from? Shame to see 'hunters' do this.
I agree.
But can sure tell you many hunters do this all the time.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out how any of this has anything to do with TWRA (as the thread title implies)?

Seems to me, nothing about this sad saga has anything to do with TWRA?

TN Whitetail Freak

Also apply for game on Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's).
No it does not. Applies only to waterfowl. That's coming from my area wardens. I learned this after I discovered investigated and confirmed a hunters deliberate waste of a white tail buck carcass last year on one of my home WMAs.

Buzzard Breath

No it does not. Applies only to waterfowl. That's coming from my area wardens. I learned this after I discovered investigated and confirmed a hunters deliberate waste of a white tail buck carcass last year on one of my home WMAs.
Screenshot_20211017-061038_kindlephoto-217918632.png

scn

Applies to waterfowl only per TWRA
The answer from TWRA would be correct for private land. However, the regulation that was posted is still in effect. It came about from hunters discarding dead coons at the Chuck Swan checking station after checking in from hunts may years ago. So, there is a "wanton waste" provision on TWRA WMAs. So, it likely was the way the question was asked.

Curious why you never bothered to edit your title. Your friends issues had nothing to do with TWRA, and the title of the thread is totally misleading.

TN Whitetail Freak

The answer from TWRA would be correct for private land. However, the regulation that was posted is still in effect. It came about from hunters discarding dead coons at the Chuck Swan checking station after checking in from hunts may years ago. So, there is a "wanton waste" provision on TWRA WMAs. So, it likely was the way the question was asked.

Curious why you never bothered to edit your title. Your friends issues had nothing to do with TWRA, and the title of the thread is totally misleading.
Because I never made mention of TWRA and consider the scenario involved a wildlife enforcement person in Tennessee that's what it was.

scn

Because I never made mention of TWRA and consider the scenario involved a wildlife enforcement person in Tennessee that's what it was.
I think you can get from the comments through this thread that a lot of folks didn't agree with that comment. It was pretty much a BS way to do it. I don't think most would consider a State Parks Ranger a wildlife enforcement person.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled

Interesting because it (wanton waste) is specifically mentioned in the Tennessee Hunting Guide regarding WMA's

Last edited:

Antler Daddy

If I owned some land that backed up to that park, I would hunt it too. Private property and natural areas can co-exist.

So, if the guy had not called the ranger and simply walked onto the park to retrieve a legally shot deer on private property....what would the criminal charge have been?

Trespassing on public land?
Hunting illegally?
Violation of walking off trail paths?

What if his dog crosses the line and gets his foot stuck in a briar tangle? What if your kid hits his baseball into the woods? What if you shot a migratory dove or duck and it fell out of the air on the park property?

Winchester

The Hunter mentioned here did absolutely NOTHING wrong or illegal. He was hunting where he had permission, then chose to do the right thing by NOT trespassing and asking permission to retrieve a deer. I understand that permission did NOT have to be granted to him and he will have to live with that. Its just sad that Common sense just doesnt exist anymore!! If this guys deer runs opposite direction and he recovers it, he would be touted by many as a great hunter and super savvy for figuring out how to kill these deer that nobody else can kill, etc, etc. Kinda comical when you think about the comments!
Also I didnt see anywhere that TWRA was mentioned by OP??

gobblegrunt

The Hunter mentioned here did absolutely NOTHING wrong or illegal. He was hunting where he had permission, then chose to do the right thing by NOT trespassing and asking permission to retrieve a deer. I understand that permission did NOT have to be granted to him and he will have to live with that. Its just sad that Common sense just doesnt exist anymore!! If this guys deer runs opposite direction and he recovers it, he would be touted by many as a great hunter and super savvy for figuring out how to kill these deer that nobody else can kill, etc, etc. Kinda comical when you think about the comments!
Well said!

UCStandSitter

This is the right answer here. The "it's the hunter's fault" comments are a little naive. He knew there was a monster there and it wasn't moving out any time soon. Why not hunt it? Most rational people would've allowed a man to retrieve the deer across the line. It's a simple thing. It's not like he did something wrong and even had video footage to prove it. This is nothing more than a small man with a small amount of power abusing it and acting like a jerk.

Bone Collector

If this guys deer runs opposite direction and he recovers it, he would be touted by many as a great hunter and super savvy for figuring out how to kill these deer that nobody else can kill, etc, etc.
The only issue with your entire statement is anyone of us could kill these deer if we had access to them. Radnor Lake is in Williamson county. as other have said, you can't get off the designated walking trails. The deer do not care about people. they literally stand there and look at you. They're nearly tame.

Would I shoot one, Yes. Would I say I accomplished something others couldn't, No. Would I have called the park ranger to get permission... Also no. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

megalomaniac

Agreed, the hunter did everything right.... except use common sense. You have to understand Radnor. You are NOT going to get permission to retrieve a deer you shot 40 yards off the line with a bow that is going to run back to his safe place after the shot. Maybe he didn't know that since he was from out of state... but those of us who have lived in Nashville and hunted those suburban deer in the past know it well. I would doubt even a friend of the governor would be allowed to retrieve a deer off Radnor. Because of that, I think it is reckless to bowhunt right on the property line of Radnor unless you are adept at spining them with a bow.

Had he checked with surrounding landowners prior to hunting, he would have realized setting up on the line against Radnor wasn't wise.

Ethically, should he have been allowed to retrieve his deer in the accompaniment of the ranger?, heck yes. But that's not how it works on this particular property. Just have to live with it, and those who hunt on the borders know it beforehand and don't fluffy kitten about not being allowed to retrieve game.

Ed B

You are correct in the fact that the hunter did nothing wrong or illegal...we can probably debate the ethical aspect of it and we can definitely debate how much common sense was used.

I'll disagree on being a great hunter and hunting next to Radnor. In my opinion, it's akin to hunting a high fence operation. There is no skill in it, you are just waiting for the deer to cross the line. The only skill is having rich enough friends that border the park that allow you to go hunt their backyard. If on the off chance he was on one of the handful of large tracts of land that borders the park he should be smart enough to not hunt on the property line. It's really not that difficult...Radnor has been this way forever.

TheLBLman

Any time any of us choose to hunt on ANY property line, the other side of which we do NOT have permission to hunt, something like what happened, can happen, and it's on the hunter first & foremost for his choice to hunt so close to a property line, WITHOUT an advance discussion regarding "what if" I shoot a deer and it runs across the line.

Any hunter can greatly reduce the risks of ending up in this type situation by archery hunting at least 150 yds from a property line. In the case of this particular hunter, he was somewhat accomplished, and well knew that arrow-shot deer often run 50-plus yards before they die, and, can run in any direction.

I commend this hunter for being honest.
But he should have known in advance there was a high chance any deer he arrowed would run back across that line, and I do believe he knew he couldn't legally go get it, but his choice was to hunt there anyway. After it happened, he did the right thing, including in asking if exception could be made.

So again, I commend him for being honest.

I don't think most would consider a State Parks Ranger a wildlife enforcement person.

I don't know anyone who does, but technically being an "enforcement" person regarding any the park's rules, some of those do include some wildlife issues?
IMO, this was more a trespassing issue than a wildlife issue.