A Bad Experience with Tennessee Wildlife Enforcement.

Pilchard

If I had access to hunt right beside this place or around somewhere like this I for sure wouldn't turn it down and I doubt anyone would. I live at the bottom of a mtn where they are protected up top. I mtn bike up there almost daily and have one really good buck I see a lot. If he ever slips off the mtn onto my property I wouldn't think twice about killing him. A mature buck lives that long for a reason and I doubt they are easy to kill even when they venture off this Radnor Lake place.
Even if they eat an apple core out of your hand? The deer(mature bucks included) on this place aren't scared of humans or their scent.

scn

Sorry, IF (IF) this was property adjacent to Radnor, I don't have much sympathy for this hunter. The retrieval issues out there are a known deal. He obviously failed to do his homework ahead of time where he would have quickly found out that he wasn't going to be able to go on the State Park to retrieve a deer.

And, if he set up within 40 yds of the boundary line to bowhunt, then it is again on him for a stupid decision. In my 57 years of bowhunting, I've killed a deer or two with a bow. I can probably count on one hand the number that have fallen within 40-50 yds. And, those were "bad" shots on my part when I hit higher than I wanted and "spined" the deer. The very nature of bow hunting is to put a razor sharp broadhead through the heart/lung vitals and have the deer run off to be recovered. Most may be dead within 10 seconds, but they can cover a lot of ground in those seconds. Setting up that close to the edge of the property is irresponsible if you don't have permission to leave the property to retrieve the deer. But, big deer colors peoples perspectives in a lot of ways.

And, to the title of the thread, I would imagine 9 out of 10 folks that opened it were expecting to find something against TWRA since that is who Tennessee Wildlife Enforcement brings to mind. And, it has zero to do with them. Since it hasn't been edited, I guess that was the author's intention.

megalomaniac

Hunting next to a boundary like this I would have already contacted individuals to see what my avenues were before hand.
No need to contact others. If it's Radnor, you are NOT going in there, and EVERYBODY that hunts around there knows it. Funny thing, the buck he shot would have been considered a dink back in the 90s and noone would have shot him. I know a fellow that killed 4 170s and a 190 that came off Radnor back in the day. But there is quite a bit of pressure all around there now, and it's very rare a buck reaches 5.5 to 6.5 any longer.

But those deer are a LOT easier to hunt than deer not living in the burbs.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Sorry, IF (IF) this was property adjacent to Radnor, I don't have much sympathy for this hunter. The retrieval issues out there are a known deal. He obviously failed to do his homework ahead of time where he would have quickly found out that he wasn't going to be able to go on the State Park to retrieve a deer.

And, if he set up within 40 yds of the boundary line to bowhunt, then it is again on him for a stupid decision. In my 57 years of bowhunting, I've killed a deer or two with a bow. I can probably count on one hand the number that have fallen within 40-50 yds. And, those were "bad" shots on my part when I hit higher than I wanted and "spined" the deer. The very nature of bow hunting is to put a razor sharp broadhead through the heart/lung vitals and have the deer run off to be recovered. Most may be dead within 10 seconds, but they can cover a lot of ground in those seconds. Setting up that close to the edge of the property is irresponsible if you don't have permission to leave the property to retrieve the deer. But, big deer colors peoples perspectives in a lot of ways.

And, to the title of the thread, I would imagine 9 out of 10 folks that opened it were expecting to find something against TWRA since that is who Tennessee Wildlife Enforcement brings to mind. And, it has zero to do with them. Since it hasn't been edited, I guess that was the author's intention.
Agreed completely. I was in the middle of posting while you posted...

Everyone knows you are NOT going onto Radnor... period. Dont archery hunt 40y from the line, cause Radnor is his sanctuary where he's going to run after a shot. State ranger did the right thing if it's Radnor.

Irresponsible hunter if he was on Radnor, and wanton waste is on him and not the ranger.

Last edited:

mike243

I was camping/hunting Big South Fork up at Bandy Creek years ago and had went back to camp for lunch, it was opening of muzzle loader season, was standing near my camp site talking to a couple of guys when a Federal ranger and a hunter came back to the mans truck beside us, the hunter didn't have his orange on or his gun, the ranger had found him blood trailing a deer in the safety zone, he showed his rifle was locked in the truck, the federal park ranger couldn't find where the deer was shot at and told the man he would go to jail if he caught him in the safety zone tracking the deer, stated it was off limits no ifs ands or buts, also told him if the 4 wheeler in the junky trailer was unloaded he would lose it and be fined ect. I never hunted around a safety zone but the critters evidently know where its safe when the hunting starts. I make sure I stay a respectable distance away from boundary's if I know were they are, Like the country up there but they allow folks that aren't hunting to not wear orange and them fools will roam the woods, I am surprised somebody hasn't been shot up there,

Andy S.

But those deer are a LOT easier to shoot than deer not living in the burbs.
Fixed it for you. Most on here know I am not much for shooting pet/tame animals, not even allowing kids to do so. That is another topic for another day, and not in line with this thread. Now that the details have come out, this outcome of events all make sense IMO.

gasman

I agree with the vast majority here, but..... Rules are rules. If park Ranger made exception for this guy (whoever he is) he would have to make exception for everyone. I mean, this dude is all pissed at Ranger and trying to go over his head, he would have been praising Ranger on camera had he let him go retrieve deer. Then said Ranger would be getting phone calls from everyone saying "can I go get my one fiddy I just shot and it ran across the line to the park". Thanks for doing your job Mr Ranger.

Last edited:

Ski

I never hunted around a safety zone but the critters evidently know where its safe when the hunting starts.

Yes they do! I once heard a guy say he likes hunting near tied up dogs because that's where big bucks will bed. He claimed the dogs give an extra level of security because they're an alarm every time something out of the ordinary comes near. I laughed and dismissed him at first but after experiencing it myself I am now a believer. You can bet if a buck knows he can bed near a tied up dog, he also knows where a safety zone begins. Deer never fail to surprise me with how clever they can be. I've heard biologists say deer don't have cognitive ability like we do, but I don't believe it for a minute. Bedding next to a chained up pitbull requires some abstract thought and weighing of risk vs. reward.

Kahrman

No need to contact others. If it's Radnor, you are NOT going in there, and EVERYBODY that hunts around there knows it. Funny thing, the buck he shot would have been considered a dink back in the 90s and noone would have shot him. I know a fellow that killed 4 170s and a 190 that came off Radnor back in the day. But there is quite a bit of pressure all around there now, and it's very rare a buck reaches 5.5 to 6.5 any longer.

But those deer are a LOT easier to hunt than deer not living in the burbs.
Exactly. I have lived within 15 minutes of Radnor my whole life. There have been some absolute monsters taken as soon as they crossed the boundary onto the private land that surrounds Radnor.

Planking

Wasn't it Radnor where one of the Titans football players got caught hunting? He didn't even have a license and i think he got away with it.

Bone Collector

Im willing to risk it are you? While i have 911 on the line you aint leaving
Be careful. I agree. If you catch someone you should be able to hold them until the police get there. Unfortunately the law disagrees (I think). I had a guy get in my shooting house last year with a compound bow. I would think you would need a Xbow, but to each their own. He even told my neighbor who went down to see why a vehicle was parked along side the driveway that accesses his and my land, that he had permission to be there. My neighbor text me and I went out there. When I confirmed that he was still there, I called the law. Of course about 10 minutes later, cops still weren't there and here he comes. I blocked the driveway and got out of my truck. I had an AR but never pointed it in his direction. He starts driving up to me slowly, and I am holding my hand up to stop, as I didn't want him to get within pistol range if he had one.

Cop pulls in and I put the AR in the truck. He pulls up and what do you think the first thing he said is.... "I'm here let me get this trespasser for you".. NOPE. He starts in with "you can't pull a gun on someone for trespassing". I told him I never pulled anything it was on my sling pointed at the ground. He then said, "that is how people get shot." Then he told me if you have a trespasser and they want to leave, let them leave.... WHY? what is the point of the law.

He then, told me the guy was a known idiot and does this stuff all the time... so what does he do? He tells me I can go and he will handle it. I didn't want him starting in on me over the gun, so I left. I call in to see if there was a report a couple of days later, and he advises me he gave him a warning and if it happens again he will be prosecuted. He said, that a warning on first offense is the way Rutherford county handles it. So nothing came of it, but I don't think this idiot has come back since.

jlanecr500

We hunt Eglin AFB in Feb for a ML hunt. Closed areas, especially permanently closed areas are a no go period. And the deer know it for sure. You would be amazed at the number of hunters on the line. I've had bucks go 40 yards with both front shoulders and sternum destroyed. I stay away from the line but keep it within 100 yards.

Chickencoop96

I was camping/hunting Big South Fork up at Bandy Creek years ago and had went back to camp for lunch, it was opening of muzzle loader season, was standing near my camp site talking to a couple of guys when a Federal ranger and a hunter came back to the mans truck beside us, the hunter didn't have his orange on or his gun, the ranger had found him blood trailing a deer in the safety zone, he showed his rifle was locked in the truck, the federal park ranger couldn't find where the deer was shot at and told the man he would go to jail if he caught him in the safety zone tracking the deer, stated it was off limits no ifs ands or buts, also told him if the 4 wheeler in the junky trailer was unloaded he would lose it and be fined ect. I never hunted around a safety zone but the critters evidently know where its safe when the hunting starts. I make sure I stay a respectable distance away from boundary's if I know were they are, Like the country up there but they allow folks that aren't hunting to not wear orange and them fools will roam the woods, I am surprised somebody hasn't been shot up there,
They have been shot up there before lol

DeerCamp

It is no longer a legal deer once you tresspass onto property you do not have permission to be on.

My take. In this particular situation, the hunter did everything right about contacting the park ranger to assist with retrieval of the deer. In that situation, the hunter can show the ranger the exact tree he was in, and the blood trail starting on the private property leading to the state park. Once verified by the ranger, he should have used his judgment and recognized this was an honest hunter who was playing by the rules, and then should have helped him drag his deer off state lands and back onto private property.

Totally different situation if he had been caught illegally hunting or illegally retrieving game off a state park.

Been in the same situation myself as the landowner. Caught poachers hunting on my property, shooting game on my property, and people retrieving game on my property without permission.

All the above got prosecuted except for one last year.... neighbors sons friend who gut shot a deer, then drove his truck through my winter haylage planting and rutted the field to begin his search, and I caught him at 10 pm destroying the blood trail through my woods. Prosecution would have caused too much bad blood between neighbors, but I asked for restitution for the destruction of the parts of the winter crop he ruined.

The flip side... had a few call me asking permission to retrieve game that ran onto my property after being shot. If you call first, I'm ALWAYS going to allow you to retrieve your game, and if I'm close by, I'll even help you drag it out or to one of my roads if it makes retrieval easier. IF you ask for permission first.
I've told this story before, but in our area there are a lot of smaller tracts (30-60 acres), but its a creek bottom and gets nasty in a hurry, so we don't really have issues with trespassers (if someone wants to jab me about the camera situation, now is a good time).

Wife was hunting gun opener solo and had 3 guys walk up on her in a stand a few years ago and scared the crap out of her. She called me freaking out. I tracked them down myself... Sheriffs Dept was useless... and eventually found them entering their trailer.

It was probably a dangerous move on my part, but I was livid so I confronted them. Those guys were at least 700 yards from the end of their property line.

Turns out they were blood trailing a deer the son had shot (WAY too far of a shot for teenager. He'd blown both of the deers front legs off). I ended up helping them find it. Took 4 hours.

But they not only scared the crap out of my wife, but also ruined her opening weekend hunt. She was seeing quite a few deer up to that point.

All it would have taken is a phone call or a 2 miles drive to come knock.

Latest posts