870 slug gun question

Realtree56

I've decided to revive my old 870 in slug gun form… been in the safe collecting dust for a decade so why not build it for oak ridge draw hunts, Midwest trips, and just to have the option to really thump em… I got the Remington cantilever scope barrel, and my receiver is a magnum… anyone with the same barrel care to tell me what ammo you get the best performance with?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have that same rig, it was first used in oak ridge very successfully. I shot Remington solid copper hollow point sabot out to 100 yards with success. That round is no longer available and after I use up my last 6 boxes I will be trying the new Remington Teflon tip copper slug.
I really enjoy using my 870 for slugs and not ever tracking a deer I shot with it.

atnvol

Somewhat related....I have a Remington 870 that is a dedicated Tom-gun. I also use a Savage 220 for a slug gun in Illinois. I have used Remington Accu-tips in it because I can easily shoot out to 150 yards with only a small drop in elevation. They are great and punch very nice holes through bone and exit leaving a nice trail in the woodland. They are hard to find in the fall so I recommend looking anytime now before the season. They do tend to recoil very hard even in a 20 gauge. Their accuracy at long range is unsurpassed IMO.

Latest posts