7mag

Union Co. Boy

Depending on the rifle, some have a little more recoil than others. Other than that, I personally love the round. I hunt with lots of different calibers, but the 7mm Mag will always be my favorite. I have 2 BAR's chambered for it. Very accurate, effective farther than I can shoot, and more than enough gun for anything I'll ever get the chance to hunt.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Great round. You are burning a lot of powder so you will get recoil and a good bit of muzzle blast, but bullet options in 7mm give you lots of options for hand loading for all sorts of scenarios. I think that the 280AI will give you a better balance of power to recoil and muzzle blast than the 7mag (280AI will come within 100fps of the 7mag), but it doesn't come in as many guns, nor is factory ammo as available for it if that is a restriction for you. 160 NABs would be hard to beat in either of those cartridges.

fairchaser

Great round for a lot of game from moose to whitetail and everything in between. It's for the one gun can do it all type of hunter. But, it's overkill for southern whitetails. You don't need a magnum unless you want one. There's no reason for the extra length, extra weight and extra recoil. Otherwise, .284 caliber is a good one!

webfeet7

My favorite caliber by far. I'm no ballistics guru so I won't even get into numbers or any of that. But every deer I've ever shot with one has dropped in its tracks or within sight. You'll never notice the recoil in a hunting scenario. My only cons would be it seems most of the 7 mags I own have long barrels and aren't as "comfortable" in the woods

Chippy

My favorite caliber by far. I'm no ballistics guru so I won't even get into numbers or any of that. But every deer I've ever shot with one has dropped in its tracks or within sight. You'll never notice the recoil in a hunting scenario. My only cons would be it seems most of the 7 mags I own have long barrels and aren't as "comfortable" in the woods
I'm 6'7 270 I'm not worried about recoil lol I'm just as hard to get around in the woods as a gun with a long barrel 😂

RobDooley

I have a 7mm weatherby magnum. Great shooting gun, minimal recoil. Downside is Weatherby ammo. $$$ My experience with hunting whitetail over corn and beans field or anywhere else for that matter...no tracking required.

DeerMan66

7MM mag is my favorite caliber. I have been hunting with the caliber since 1996. I was introduced to it by my dad. I own three 7 mags. The Remington 700 my wife bought me in 1996. I now own my dad's BAR after his passing. My 3rd is a Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon that I use out west. As far as recoil goes. I added a limb saver recoil pad to my 700. That made a huge reduction in recoil. The BAR has a hard plastic butt plate. It will turn your hat sideways. The Xbolt has an excellent factory recoil pad. Its a very deadly caliber for anything in north America. My favorite bullet for smaller big game is the 140 gr Nosler Partition. I use the 160 gr Nosler Partition for large big game. If i didnt have a 7 mag and was going to buy one it would be a Browning Xbolt. Its the smoothest bolt I have ever worked. Its also balanced well. If you cant tell Im a big 7 mag fan.

Latest posts