7dust

Jcalder

I wouldn't dust anything I was immediately gonna eat, but a week before and a good rinse should be sufficient. If I were to dust, I'd start as soon as I seen the first signs, and follow the instructions. I'm thinking once every couple weeks would suffice but I'm not sure

backyardtndeer

Read the label. It will depend on the formulation. Old sevin was carbaryl, that has been pulled, and now they are using cypermethrin. The instructions are not the same for days to harvest and number of times you can spray for the two different chemicals. If you follow the instructions it should be perfectly safe. We use sevin liquid in our garden, have for a very long time.

Moonman

I have mixed feelings n the stuff. When I was younger we used the liquid and then found a slew of birds that were dead around. The powder we never had an issue with. I try my best to not use it and I've found that generally the good bugs wind up taking care of most of my issues the last few years. When you spray you get rid of the good bugs and also it can hurt the pollinators like bees. If you put it out evenings are best.

WTM

the liquid sevin (cypermethrin) is safer than carboryl .(dust).

that said both my grandmothers dusted their gardens that looked like time on target with a flour missile. they both lived to be 100.

ive got some posts with the info on here somewhere. at first thought i thought the cypermethrin wouldnt be a food idea but as it turns out its less toxic. just read application rates for each.

backyardtndeer

the liquid sevin (cypermethrin) is safer than carboryl .(dust).

that said both my grandmothers dusted their gardens that looked like time on target with a flour missile. they both lived to be 100.

ive got some posts with the info on here somewhere. at first thought i thought the cypermethrin wouldnt be a food idea but as it turns out its less toxic. just read application rates for each.
The new formula of gardentech sevin dust powder form, I believe, is actually bifenthrin. Used to be that the dust and liquid both were carbaryl. I guess it has been about 15 years since they started their change away from carbaryl. I first found out there was a change when the sevin label cut out all use for fresh green beans. I called them to find out if it was still safe since it was the exact same formulation(active ingredient) on the label as what I bought a year prior. They told me no, do not use for fresh green beans, that they had a new product called "worry free" for beans. Tried it and it sucked. Needless to say, they came out with the new formula of sevin some time after that, and it no longer had carbaryl. Carbaryl under Bayer had been found to be a carcinogen. From what i understand Gardentech bought the sevin label from Bayer.

Definitely would be best to read the label of what you have.

WTM

The new formula of gardentech sevin dust powder form, I believe, is actually bifenthrin. Used to be that the dust and liquid both were carbaryl. I guess it has been about 15 years since they started their change away from carbaryl. I first found out there was a change when the sevin label cut out all use for fresh green beans. I called them to find out if it was still safe since it was the exact same formulation(active ingredient) on the label as what I bought a year prior. They told me no, do not use for fresh green beans, that they had a new product called "worry free" for beans. Tried it and it sucked. Needless to say, they came out with the new formula of sevin some time after that, and it no longer had carbaryl. Carbaryl under Bayer had been found to be a carcinogen. From what i understand Gardentech bought the sevin label from Bayer.

Definitely would be best to read the label of what you have.
bifen is not labeled for or can used on fruits or vegetables. i havent checked the powder lately but it was still carbaryl in 2019.

ive been using the new liquid cyper sevin liquid on peaches and when jap beetles show up on the okra. other than that i dont have an issue with bug pests that much although im seeing more and more brown stink bugs.

backyardtndeer

bifen is not labeled for or can used on fruits or vegetables. i havent checked the powder lately but it was still carbaryl in 2019.

ive been using the new liquid cyper sevin liquid on peaches and when jap beetles show up on the okra. other than that i dont have an issue with bug pests that much although im seeing more and more brown stink bugs.
I know talstar(active ingredient bifen) is labeled for kitchen use, but not sure if it's labeled for use in vegetables.

If you go directly to the gardentech site https://www.gardentech.com/products/sevin/sevin-5-ready-to-use-5-dust, you can look at the current label. It does in fact show bifenthrin as the active ingredient in their sevin dust product, listed for 150 types of insects.
Screenshot_20220709-104650_OneDrive.jpg

WTM

maybe because it is a low concentration it can be used? the bottle of bifen i have 7.8% says not use on vegetables or fruits. i only spray it around the house. that stuff kills everything.

backyardtndeer

maybe because it is a low concentration it can be used? the bottle of bifen i have 7.8% says not use on vegetables or fruits. i only spray it around the house. that stuff kills everything.
Probably. And yes, bifen is very effective at regular rates.

I think the newer liquid 7(cypermethrin) may be more effective than the old formula with carbaryl.

WTM

Probably. And yes, bifen is very effective at regular rates.

I think the newer liquid 7(cypermethrin) may be more effective than the old formula with carbaryl.
it works very well on my peaches. rain doesnt seem to affect it, when we donget rain lol. and the PHI is less too. some stuff you can spray a day or two before harvest but some fruits has a week longer PHI than carbaryl for some reason.

ive told folks on here before, if you dont spray peaches and plums then you wont have peaches and plums. coddling moths will absolutely destroy them.

Latest posts