777 Magnum pellets

meat hunter

I stopped in at Dunn's Sporing goods in Paducah yesterday. They always have a big selection of muzzleloader stuff. I saw some pellets that I had never seen or even heard of before. The box was red and it said 777 Magnum pellets. The box did not show what grain they were but did say that two pellets were equal to 150 grains of loose powder.

Has anybody used them or seen them? If so what kind of results did you get?

big jim

Two 60 grain magnum pellets (120gr 777) are actually equivalant to the charge of 150 gr pyrodex (or 3 pyrodex pellets). So two of the magnum 777 pellets will produce similiar velocity figures as 3 of the older pyrodex pellets.

Noteworthy to mention that each standard 777 pellet are actually not 50 grains of 777 but are the ballistic charge equal to 50 grains of pyrodex loose or pellet.

So 2 standard (not magnum) pellets 777 should be ballistically similiar with loads of 2 pellets Pyrodex.

...and two magnum 777 pellets should be balistically similiar with loads of 3 pellets pyrodex.

ffmedic

I spoke to CVA on the phone last week about loads. He stated that loose powder vs pellets is significantly different. Basically 150 gr pellets will produce the same velocity as 100 gr s loose. That's what I was told

ffmedic

I personally still use black powder. FFFG 70 grains. Has always shot fantastic in all the muzzleloaders I have had. Got a new one a few weeks ago. Will find out Friday how it does

Wobblyshot1

It's ashame they have the restrictions they have on real black powder for sporting purposes. I think if it was easier to get more folks would be using it. It's the only way to go for traditional muzzle loading.

UTGrad

Wobblyshot1 said:
It's ashame they have the restrictions they have on real black powder for sporting purposes. I think if it was easier to get more folks would be using it. It's the only way to go for traditional muzzle loading.

True blackpowder is an explosive...bp substitutes are more stable and considered flammable.

UTGrad

777 Magnum pellets are good but they get the barrel dirty quick. I got a bad crud ring shooting them at the range. Shouldn't matter in the deer woods since only 1 shot is usually needed.

Latest posts