76 years ago

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Dec 7 , 1941 my grandfather died on the USS California.

S

Smo

I had an Uncle stationed there that dreadful day as well.

He was one of the Survivors.

Great , Brave men they were.

The Greatest Generation , hopefully never to be forgotten.

May all their Souls RIP.

F

farmin68

Wildcat":2jra4k7m said:

Wildcat, your December 7 posts are a TNDeer tradition and I look for them every year.

Maybe you've mentioned it before, but I didn't know about your grandfather. That gave me chills.

Bone Collector

Bone Collector

Supporter
farmin68":1uxfemm3 said:
Wildcat":1uxfemm3 said:

Wildcat, your December 7 posts are a TNDeer tradition and I look for them every year.

Maybe you've mentioned it before, but I didn't know about your grandfather. That gave me chills.

Yeah i see your posts yearly, but don;t think i have ever seen anything about your grand dad. That took me aback a little bit.

What a sacrifice that generation made.

H

huntintn

My grandfather was there, he fought the nightmares for almost 40 years. Couldn't stand the darkness or the smell of diesel. He was trapped in the belly of a ship for 3 days.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Bone Collector":104xy80v said:

Yeah i see your posts yearly, but don;t think i have ever seen anything about your grand dad. That took me aback a little bit.

What a sacrifice that generation made.[/quote]

I have posted about it before on Dec 7.

Also one of my uncles was in the Bataan Death March, he spend the entire war as a POW under the Japneese.

Ladys man

Ladys man

huntintn":c3m8a1bj said:
My grandfather was there, he fought the nightmares for almost 40 years. Couldn't stand the darkness or the smell of diesel. He was trapped in the belly of a ship for 3 days.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Wow I couldn’t imagine that

W

Wiley

God bless all you fought and all who died that day. May those that perished rest in peace.

We've never been allowed to win another war. May God bless the USA.

KPH

KPH

Supporter
Worked with a guy who was on one of the Battle Ships. Had a second cousin who was on Bataan. Tough guys

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Many horrible deaths were endured by the fallen of Pearl Harbor. The story of these three sailors from the USS West Virginia is particularly chilling.

"......Late spring 1942 found Navy salvage teams finally getting to work on the WV. An inventive series of tremic cement patches were fitted to her port side, and enough water pumped out to partially float the once grand ship. BB48 was nudged across the Harbor into drydock and the grim task of finding bodies began. For Commander Paul Dice, compartment A-111 was expected to be like the rest: Put on gas masks, place some goo into a bodybag and let the Medical boys worry about identification. They had seen it all, but this compartment was different. Dice first noticed the interior was dry and flashlight batteries and empty ration cans littered the floor. A manhole cover to a fresh water supply was opened. Then he saw the calendar. It was 12"x14" and marked with big red Xs that ended December 23. Hardened salvage workers wept uncontrollably as they realized the fate of these men. Word quickly spread among salvage crews: Three men had lived for 16 days to suffer the most agonizing deaths among the 2800 victims at Pearl Harbor......."

http://usswestvirginia.org/stories/story.php?id=23

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Wiley":285941ab said:
God bless all you fought and all who died that day. May those that perished rest in peace.

We've never been allowed to win another war. May God bless the USA.

Makes the losses all the more tragic. :cry: