72 year old notches bucket list item

RowdyVol90

My Granfather-in-law decided at age 72 that killing a turkey would be a bucket list item for him. He's had 8 heart attacks in his life and nearly died of COVID-19 in December 2020. He's always been an avid duck hunter until slowing down 10 plus years ago but never got into turkey hunting. As the Spring approached and his health strengthened he told his son (my father-in-law) about this bucket list item. Plans started coming together: trail cams, ground blind set-up, and scouting. As opening wknd would have it the cold temperatures prevented him from going. Well, Monday mornings forecast was perfect. The excitement during the night prior to the hunt must've been high as none of got much rest. We headed out that morning at a much slower walk than the two of us were used to but nonetheless, we made it to the blind and settled in. Side note, the blind and a chair were a necessity for him. Long story short, we heard him gobble a few times, got to watch him strut within 50 yds, and at 8:15 he aimed and killed his first wild turkey -23.2 lbs, 1 1/8 in spurs, and 9 inch beard. I'm not sure who out of the 3 of us were most excited. What an accomplishment on his first ever turkey hunt! We asked him on the way home if he wanted to go again and although he was as tickled as he could possibly be, he said nope, "I've checked it off my list and I'm done."
Thank God for the wild turkey!
Awesome! Congrats!

Latest posts