700 308 Update

Urban_Hunter

Well... I complained about this stock... and I take it all back.

I didn't go into much detail before, but this gun shot very poorly in the SPS stock. I tried 2 Ladders and multiple factory ammo's of different brands and couldn't get better than 1.5" at 100 in factory trim, most were 2"+

I've been needing a bench, I've been shooting off a card table. Today I threw me a bench together and headed up the hill.

First I tried some factory loads and was ringing in 7/8" - 1-1/8", a good improvement from before. Light was running out so I grabbed a string from my hand loads to try even though the barrel was warm.

e8bbe1985b9ae0b4ed04cf79c4dc10db.jpg

I thought my 2nd shot missed entirely til I noticed the 3rd enlarging the hole. I was hurrying due to light, the barrel was pretty warm but she stacked 4 rounds into just a hair under 0.500. This was just a random charge out of my ladder I made some extras as foulers, unfired PRVI brass. Once I get into my ladder and get into formed Lapua brass it will get interesting. Pic is sideways, the string is vertical. Im beside myself with the improvement.

Bench:
53a0232d0f4254b908c719382a49c7a6.jpg

For any wondering, this was 45.5gr IMR4895 at 2.800 COAL in PRVI new brass, fed 210m, 168gr Sierra mk

mr.big

really nice job getting that stock fitted and starting to get that 700 shooting like it is supposed to,,,,
I have shot no telling how many rounds off benches like that and I might save you some aggravation and help you on the vertical..

put a leg on the rear of the bench and jam a bag of quikcrete between the front legs and the braces on both sides,,a concrete top is ideal but you can shoot really good groups off a wood bench if you weight it down a little and try and not lean against it any more than you have to,,

I dont mean to come off as a know it all,it`s just that I know first hand that groups like you shot today can really tighten up off a little more stable bench,,especially the vertical,,

Urban_Hunter

mr.big":3atebygv said:
really nice job getting that stock fitted and starting to get that 700 shooting like it is supposed to,,,,
I have shot no telling how many rounds off benches like that and I might save you some aggravation and help you on the vertical..

put a leg on the rear of the bench and jam a bag of quikcrete between the front legs and the braces on both sides,,a concrete top is ideal but you can shoot really good groups off a wood bench if you weight it down a little and try and not lean against it any more than you have to,,

I dont mean to come off as a know it all,it`s just that I know first hand that groups like you shot today can really tighten up off a little more stable bench,,especially the vertical,,

Thanks mr.big, the rear definitely needs to be stiffened... cantilever wasn't the best idea. The bench is very light, I will certainly look into weighing it down. I can see where this would be adding to the stringing. I haven't had a chance to bed the action yet, but I'll be taking care of it shortly. Thanks again, no offense ever taken from your suggestions.

Urban_Hunter

DaveB":2qxu142c said:
Very nice shooting.

Think I will get some 4895 and give it a try.

Thanks Dave

I have a bunch of favorable 308 powders but I have the largest quantity off 4895, and it's the oldest powder I have so I figured I'd use it first. Looks like it will work good enough for me!

Latest posts