6mm

rukiddin

I just found/bought a 1972 Ruger top tang safety in 6mm. Gun is MINT condition. Looks like it just came out of the box. I bought it "primarily" (Haha) for my daughter when she gets old enough to shoot and also for my wife if she ever decides to want to kill a deer. Really intend for this to be a safe queen for a few years. Just curious if anyone here shoots a 6mm. And I'm not saying what I paid for it for fear of over paying but if any of y'all have an idea of the value, I'd like to hear it.

pressfit

I got a old Remington 788 in 6mm.. probably the best deer rifle I have ever had.. I call it the drilla.. it'll drill a hole in anything you can see!!! Been hunting with it for 20 years..

rukiddin

pressfit":28orj31o said:
.. I call it the drilla....

Let me just say I may now have favorite nickname for a rifle. Hahaha. That's a good one!! What's recoil like on it? I shoot a 700 classic in 25-06 and I know 25's are t supposed to kick, but that gun will stomp the daylights out of me and everyone else who has ever shot it. Mystery as to why but it does. Anyways, I'd been looking for a soft shooter for quite some time and found this one. I'm not gonna push hunting and shooting on my daughter but I'm not going to discourage it either. I hate the thought of a "first gun" to be some cheapo. I wanted it to be something nice and something she could possibly hand down to her children some day. Yeah, I like the thought of taking it out a few times, but the main reason I bought it was for her.

Mr.Bro

My first rifle was a 6mm bought in the late 60s. Groundhogs and deer never had a chance. Excellent caliber for anyone. Find what ammo it likes and buy lots of it.
Ruger also had a recall on that very model 77. Seems some would discharge when the safety was disengaged. Saw it happen once.

rukiddin

Mr.Bro":n2brs6kb said:
Ruger also had a recall on that very model 77. Seems some would discharge when the safety was disengaged. Saw it happen once.

I kinda want all my guns to fire when the safety is disengaged. Now when there engaged is a whole different story. I get what your saying though. Just pickin on ya.

mr.big

I have had 3-4 6mm Rem rifles and still have one,,one Rem 700 VLS shot extremely well for a factory barrel ,,I shot 70 gr NBT`s and enough 4064 for 3725 fps and would cut bullet holes,,also shot the 100 gr Hornady BTSP and RL22 at 3150 fps and would turn a whitetails lights out in a hurry,,after a little over 4,000 rounds it got where it wouldnt group for crap and I traded it in on a brand new caliber that had just came out,,the 204 Ruger,,it was OK but it just was not a 6mm Rem,,

I shoot a 243 a lot now but if brass wasnt so scarce I would be just as happy with a 6mm chamber,,

fullstream

I have a rem 700 in 6mm (actually my sons now) that gun flat out drops deer and is very accurate. Him and I have killed a bunch of deer with it. I often find myself grabbing it when he's not hunting with me even with all the other calibers I have. Very few deer have gone to far when being hit with the 100 grain cor-loc. My favorite gun I've owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

Congratulations on the old Ruger 6mm! You'll forget what you paid for it over time and you'll still have a nice rifle to hunt with. :) I have a 6mm that I bought years ago but have never used it much. It's a heavy barrel custom built on a 98 Mauser commercial single shot action. It has a Douglas heavy barrel that is 28 inches I think. Heavy bench type wood stock - don't recall make of trigger. It's never shot particularly small groups but then I've never worked with it much. A friend of mine was cleaning out some of his rifle collection and he offered it to me with dies, hard carrying case, a lot of cases, and loaded ammo plus all his loading notes and targets for only $350. I couldn't say "No" so I bought it and sort of put it on the back burner for a future project. I'm retiring in a few years so that's one thing on my long list to do then.

rukiddin

Hunter 257W":25upix8d said:
Congratulations on the old Ruger 6mm! You'll forget what you paid for it over time and you'll still have a nice rifle to hunt with. :) I have a 6mm that I bought years ago but have never used it much. It's a heavy barrel custom built on a 98 Mauser commercial single shot action. It has a Douglas heavy barrel that is 28 inches I think. Heavy bench type wood stock - don't recall make of trigger. It's never shot particularly small groups but then I've never worked with it much. A friend of mine was cleaning out some of his rifle collection and he offered it to me with dies, hard carrying case, a lot of cases, and loaded ammo plus all his loading notes and targets for only $350. I couldn't say "No" so I bought it and sort of put it on the back burner for a future project. I'm retiring in a few years so that's one thing on my long list to do then.

The more I look around the more I think I did ok on it. Gun has a Nikon on it and I gave him $600 for it. I've never been Big on rifles. They're nothing more than a tool to do a job to me so I'm limited on knowledge of'em. Now shotguns on the other hand.......I look at shotguns like most on here do their rifles. Haha

Hunter 257W

Yeah, if you got that for $600, you certainly did good! The rifle I mentioned above for $350 was bought something like 20 years ago. And that was so low for even then that I felt guilty and forced my friend to take an 8lb can of WW 231 powder a few weeks later to ease my conscience. I could get real excited about buying shotguns too but my problem with that is that changing out shotguns messes my shooting up so much since they are shot more instinctively than rifles. Slight changes in feel and weight will change where you hit and they all shoot to a different point of impact relative to point-of-aim. I got a side x side 12 gauge several years ago and was thrilled because I'd always wanted one so bad. Well it was like learning to shoot all over again because I'd used my pair of Ithaca 37's for so long and the double felt completely alien in my hands! :)

Latest posts