60 Seasons

Chiflyguy

This is the 60th. season for me, I am 81 years old. I started back in 1962, and still have my big game tag from that year. It was really rare to even see a deer back then, I remember getting excited just seeing a track.
I didn't kill a deer until 1964. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was hunting in Jackson Co. with a marlin 336 in 30-30.
I was on top of one of those really big steep ridges kinda off to one side. I had never seen a live deer before then. I was on the ground and here comes 3 or 4 does out the ridge. I watch them go by and then here comes another deer and I can see it is a buck with about
4 or 5 inch spikes just barely legal. My heart is beating a hundred miles an hour, well he stops right behind a little cedar tree with his head and neck sticking out. I put the sights on his neck and pulled the trigger. Well he dropped like a rock right there, I walked up to him and was standing right over him looking at the hole in his neck. All at once he jumped straight up and took off right over the back side of the steep ridge I was on, well I took off after him, he ran a pretty good ways down the ridge and fell, before I could get to him he jumped up and took off again. He ran down the hill even farther and fell again, that time I shot him again. It was a good thing he wasn't any bigger than he was because I had a heck of a time getting him back up the ridge.
I'm not able to hunt much at all anymore, no more tree stands, I'm limited to a ground blind now.
I've been a couple of times during muzzleloader and went this morning. I had a really action packed morning, didn't see a thing until 9:00 then had a lone doe come running up the far side of a creek, I got ready and here comes a small 6 or 8 point right after her.
Between 9 and 10 I saw three more bucks on the same trail following the doe, they were all small bucks.
I didn't see any shooters but that same old excitement is still there.
Don't know how many more times I will be able to go but I believe that excitement will always still be there.
I hope when I'm your age, I can still get out.
Your story is cool.
I don't think anyone forgets there first deer.

SSlater

Amazing how times have changed. I moved here in 1984 from Michigan. It was years before I saw a deer here.

Willysman

This is the 60th. season for me, I am 81 years old. I started back in 1962, and still have my big game tag from that year. It was really rare to even see a deer back then, I remember getting excited just seeing a track.
I didn't kill a deer until 1964. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was hunting in Jackson Co. with a marlin 336 in 30-30.
I was on top of one of those really big steep ridges kinda off to one side. I had never seen a live deer before then. I was on the ground and here comes 3 or 4 does out the ridge. I watch them go by and then here comes another deer and I can see it is a buck with about
4 or 5 inch spikes just barely legal. My heart is beating a hundred miles an hour, well he stops right behind a little cedar tree with his head and neck sticking out. I put the sights on his neck and pulled the trigger. Well he dropped like a rock right there, I walked up to him and was standing right over him looking at the hole in his neck. All at once he jumped straight up and took off right over the back side of the steep ridge I was on, well I took off after him, he ran a pretty good ways down the ridge and fell, before I could get to him he jumped up and took off again. He ran down the hill even farther and fell again, that time I shot him again. It was a good thing he wasn't any bigger than he was because I had a heck of a time getting him back up the ridge.
I'm not able to hunt much at all anymore, no more tree stands, I'm limited to a ground blind now.
I've been a couple of times during muzzleloader and went this morning. I had a really action packed morning, didn't see a thing until 9:00 then had a lone doe come running up the far side of a creek, I got ready and here comes a small 6 or 8 point right after her.
Between 9 and 10 I saw three more bucks on the same trail following the doe, they were all small bucks.
Don't know how many more times I will be able to go but I believe that excitement will always still be there.
Love that story. Reminds me of myself a little. Started out hunting the Tellico mountains when I was 16. 77 now. No deer except the mts at that time. Still hunt there few days a year. Ridges steeper now.

MUP

Awesome story and memory brother! I'm 58 and right there with you. I'm still climbing up to my loc-ons but I too wonder how many more seasons I'll have to enjoy this passion that I've been blessed to enjoy all these years.

bigtex

Great story! I'm 9 years your junior and your story gives me hope [good Lord willing] i'll still be hunting 9 years+ from now.

DBAR

Great story.

Latest posts