6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm-08

String Music

I'm looking to pick up a new dedicated deer rifle for next year. I currently hunt with a .270 WSM and a 30-30. I'm looking for a flat shooting gun with lighter recoil that will handle deer in the 150-400 yard range.

I've done some research and it seems I can't go wrong with either for deer. The 7mm-08 seems to get the nod for bigger game.

Anyone have experience with both? Pros/cons of each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWDUST

Re: 6.5 Creedmore vs 7mm-08

you are correct in saying you cant go wrong with either.... do you reload??
i have a rem model 7 7-08 in which i use the 120 grain ballistic tip and it is just great on deer size game. i have a barrett fieldcraft in 6.5 creedmoor in which i use the hornady 143 gr. eld-x and it is great on deer size game also. are there better bullets..maybe ....
the 6.5 does kick less but flip a coin . i lean toward the 6.5 because the barrett is lighter.

watch how u spell creedmoor......no "E".....you will get blasted by some for a misspell :D

DaveB

Re: 6.5 Creedmore vs 7mm-08

Yep, pretty much tied although the heavier bullets for the 7-08 (they go up to 165 in factory loads) make it a bit more flexible.

Study the ballistics for each caliber where the bullet weighs the same. Look at drop, velocity, retained energy at 300 and 400. Base your decision on what you see in the tables.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
MickThompson":33ndfkbf said:
Someone will probably correct me but as I understand it the 6.5 doesn't really separate from the pack until you get beyond 400 yards.
Unless you're loading 162gr eld-m or eld-x in the 7-08, the creedmoor is far superior with respect to wind drift from the muzzle. Even more superior if you're shoot factory ammo only.

Hardwoodmaterials

MickThompson":3awbx2u3 said:
Someone will probably correct me but as I understand it the 6.5 doesn't really separate from the pack until you get beyond 400 yards.
The 6.5cm does nothing that cant be done equally as well or better with a dozen older cartridges. The only magical thing it has going for it is Hornadys marketing team and an easily lead herd of sponsored outdoors magazine writers.

infoman jr.

MickThompson":2h3imh1f said:
I have no objection although the Creedmoor case does lend itself more toward inherent accuracy.

Chief44

My vote would go to the 7mm-08. Ive owned several rifles over the years in that caliber and it's my favorite whitetail round. While the 6.5 CM is also a good whitetail round, it's not the magic do all caliber that some make it out to be. If your wanting to stick with a short action caliber, the 7mm-08, 308 or 6.5 CM will all get the job done at the ranges you described as long as you do your part.

TNRifleman

I will start by saying I have never in my life shot a 7-08 and have always been a long action, standard caliber guy. 270, 30-06 etc.

However, I do have a couple of 6.5's, one is a target gun set up for longet range shooting and one is a hunting rig. It is really hard to argue with the accuracy I am getting and recoil is about non-existent. If I am hunting, I am still likely carryong a 270, 30-06 or more recently a 280AI. That being said, my hunting rifle in 6.5CM is a sweet setup that is crazy accurate and has plenty of energy for whitetails out past where I want to shoot.

The other consideration is that I believe the 6.5 is one of, if not the best selling caliber out right now. This means that if you shoot factory ammo, there are a ton of very good options available and likely more to come. I shoot a 140 gr. accubond at 2770 fps, and with almost no recoil, its a fantastic whitetail cartridge.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
6.5 CM ammo and components are ubiquitous and affordable. Recoil is low, and is a great deer cartridge. No flies on that round as a deer cartridge at all. You may have to grow a man bun and start meticulously grooming and waxing your beard while wearing skinny jeans if you buy one, though.

7-08 is also a great deer round, and gives you more flexibility if you ever want to hunt something bigger. Ammo will be slightly more expensive and harder to find. Reload and this is no issue.

Truly, either one are more than adequate, but one is just more popular right now.

jakeway

I've owned both, until I sold the 7-08. Both are equally effective on deer.

Unless you hunt elk, the 6.5 is more versatile...you can load up some dandy 85 or 90 grain bullets to make it a better coyote and varmint rifle than the 7-08. Since I sold my 7-08, I've pretty much dedicated my 6.5 CM to coyote, and use my 260 REM or my 270 WIN as my go-to deer rifles.

280longshot

I have both, killed with both and see no difference. For deer under 400 you'll see no difference, this isn't target shooting where you'll be worried about wind drift.....lol
My advice is get a quality rifle known for accuracy and is light weight. I have several rifles and I tend to gravitate to the light weight rifles that are accurate.. Hint Tikker
Fieldcraft
6.5 CM ammo is available everywhere at great prices compared to 7-08. Pick your poison I see no advantage if using for deer.

7-08 with 150 eld x is pure poison for deer and know a guy using this for elk hunting with great results.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
280longshot":2iz6lujq said:
I have both, killed with both and see no difference. For deer under 400 you'll see no difference, this isn't target shooting where you'll be worried about wind drift.....lol
My advice is get a quality rifle known for accuracy and is light weight. I have several rifles and I tend to gravitate to the light weight rifles that are accurate.. Hint Tikker
Fieldcraft
6.5 CM ammo is available everywhere at great prices compared to 7-08. Pick your poison I see no advantage if using for deer.

7-08 with 150 eld x is pure poison for deer and know a guy using this for elk hunting with great results.
Yea, we should only care about wind drift on a 300-400 yard shot when target shooting but when taking an ethical kill shot, who cares....

280longshot

markwondi":22rdmvec said:
280longshot":22rdmvec said:
Fieldcraft

Yea, we should only care about wind drift on a 300-400 yard shot when target shooting but when taking an ethical kill shot, who cares....

Mark..... that wasn't a response to your comment brother, guess I should have worded it different.

Latest posts