6.5 Creedmoor vs. 7mm-08

mr.big

to compare the 7-08 and 6.5CM you should compare the 120 gr 6.5 to the 140 gr 7mm loads,,or the 140 gr 6.5 to the 162 gr 7mm loads to get an apples to apples comparison,,

there are tons of 6.5 Creed shooters in the PRS matches and they shoot a lot of ammo,,it is not hype or a fad 6.5 Creedmoor is here to stay ,,

7mm08

mr.big":bwt2s6xa said:
to compare the 7-08 and 6.5CM you should compare the 120 gr 6.5 to the 140 gr 7mm loads,,or the 140 gr 6.5 to the 162 gr 7mm loads to get an apples to apples comparison,,

there are tons of 6.5 Creed shooters in the PRS matches and they shoot a lot of ammo,,it is not hype or a fad 6.5 Creedmoor is here to stay ,,

What i know regarding shooting compared to you sir is minuscule. However, could you please explain your statement because that sounds like apples to oranges to me? "I am not a smart man but I know " simple
Math and there is a 20g difference in there somewhere

ewc

7mm08":2pjgc7rj said:
What i know regarding shooting compared to you sir is minuscule. However, could you please explain your statement because that sounds like apples to oranges to me? "I am not a smart man but I know " simple
Math and there is a 20g difference in there somewhere

b.c. to b.c.

mr.big

you are comparin the heaviest 6.5 bullet to the lighter 7mm bullet,,when comparing different calibers I use the fps of the bullets with the same SD to get an idea of which is the better round,,

SD is a constant where BC can vary depending on the profile of the bullet,

muddyboots

From what I can tell tracking and not tracking. A guy on my lease has bought a new 6.5 creedmore. He's shot 1 with it and I was not impressed. Shot twice with good shots and it went a pretty good ways. I've had a 7/08 for 20 years. I can't even remember tracking any.

7mm08

mr.big":f0c8twuh said:
you are comparin the heaviest 6.5 bullet to the lighter 7mm bullet,,when comparing different calibers I use the fps of the bullets with the same SD to get an idea of which is the better round,,

SD
Standard Deviation ?

Thanks

TNRifleman

7mm08":30ofd9nv said:
mr.big":30ofd9nv said:

SD
Standard Deviation ?

Thanks

Sectional Density

jakeway

mr.big":2ym2eakp said:

This does appear to be the standard approach, but I take the opposite view. I start with a bullet weight, usually 120 to 140 grain for deer, and compare that weight in the various cartridges. I love the way my 260 shoots a 120 gr, and I also use a 120 in my 7mm-08. But if I have to go to a 140 gr pill in 7mm to get the trajectory of the 260 120 gr, I consider the need to go to a heavier bullet a disadvantage of the larger caliber. In an "apples to apples" comparison, the 6.5CM wins because you can get that performance with a lighter bullet. As long as the bullet is heavy enough, any extra weight is immaterial.

Now, admittedly there's not much difference in these two, and I hardly notice any difference in recoil and muzzle blast between my 7mm-08 140 gr loads and my 260 120 gr loads. But compare a 140 gr 6.5 CM to an equivalent velocity and BC 30 caliber, and the increased recoil, muzzle blast, etc and it's noticeable.

Latest posts