6.5 Creedmoor vs. 7mm-08

TN Larry

So, I've read all the hype about the Creedmoor. Is it just hype or here to stay? How does it compare to the 7mm-08? I am thinking about buying a new rifle and both are available, opinion?

280longshot

If you already have a 7-08 and want something new then yes buy a 6.5 CM cause that's what we guys do, we like guns.

If you take a look at Nosler load data the 7-08 is a very versatile round shooting a 120 gr bullet all the way up to a 175 gr bullet and for hunting purposes that is what you want. Heck the 7-08 is capable of shooting a 160 gr bullet at almost 2800 fps. I think the data confirms how versatile the round is without a doubt.

I think you've already decided on a 6.5 CM , and yes it's here to stay and it's a very efficient round also. Now the decision is what rifle and you can't go wrong with the new Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM with the 24" barrel.

Good luck in your decision.

Snowwolfe

Those deer are smart.........they can tell the difference between a bullet that is .264 and .284. About the only advantage the 7mm/08 offers is it will handle heavier weight bullets. Good for game larger than deer or maybe if you are shooting 400 yards or further.
Thats about it.

TN Larry

I have a 7mm-08 mountain rifle that I'm about to put for sale, and my son has a model 7 so I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 because of history and already having ammo. This would be a backup rifle but kinda intrigued by the hype of the 6.5.

jakeway

It ain't hype.

I have both, and I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the more versatile cartridge. It can go down to 85 grain for a really nice long range predator gun, with much better ballistics than the lightest bullet in the 7mm-08. On the upper end, the 6.5 now has high quality bullets in 140 and above (even to 160) for larger game up to and including elk. If you need the 7mm to go to a heavier bullet, there are better 7mm cartridges for those applications than the 7mm-08.

But, as always, you may need to handload to optimize either cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmoor is getting so popular, you can get very high quality cartridges off the shelf, but you will have to pay a premium.

TN Larry

Thanks for the info! For my use, I don't think there is a nickels difference so I went with another 7mm-08 since I won't have to carry another caliber of ammo.

Deer Assassin

i have no idea what the hype is about 6.5 creed 260 remington will do everything the 6.5 creed can and with more speed

7/08 is way more versatile with a great selection of bullets ...better than 6.5

at the end of the day they both will kill fine

Talome13

The best thing the Creed has going for it is quality quality ammo right off the shelf. And in my experience, the 6.5 rifles are just inherently more accurate

TN Song Dog

Deer Assassin":l96ykfr6 said:
i have no idea what the hype is about 6.5 creed 260 remington will do everything the 6.5 creed can and with more speed

7/08 is way more versatile with a great selection of bullets ...better than 6.5

at the end of the day they both will kill fine
You are totally correct, unless someone doesn't reload. 6.5CM factory loaded ammo for high BC long range shooting is where it really shines. That, along with factory rifles with the twist to stabilize the high BC bullets. That's my thoughts, anyways. If those two things would of been offered for the 260 first, there would be almost no reason for the CM.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mr.big

the CM case is a little shorter allowing you to seat the 140 class bullets above the neck shoulder junction and still fit in an AI magazine,,you cant do that with a 260,,the 30* shoulder keeps you from having to trim your cases as often as with the 260 also,,the FPS is close enough that I like the case design of the 6.5CM and even more so the 6.5x47L over the 260,,

bulld

You can find 7mm08 almost anywhere and cheaper, heavier bullets available, and death on deer. Sometimes these newer rounds come and go with poor sales then you wind up with few options unless you reload

7mm08

wsm":1h35dlwm said:
I have both and 6.5 creedmoor shots flatter but 7mm-08 is death for deer.

Maybe at 600+ yards but according to this chart the 7mm08 is probably statistically no different IF not better than the 6.5 CReedmoor if I am looking at this correctly and comparing apples to apples.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
7mm08":3t0ezvwy said:
wsm":3t0ezvwy said:
I have both and 6.5 creedmoor shots flatter but 7mm-08 is death for deer.

Maybe at 600+ yards but according to this chart the 7mm08 is probably statistically no different IF not better than the 6.5 CReedmoor if I am looking at this correctly and comparing apples to apples.

There are many 140gr 6.5mm bullet options with G1 BC's in the .600-.625 range, that's where the advantage is for the creedmoor.

However, the 7mm-08 is still a fine choice for a 500 yard and in rifle, especially with TTSX and accubonds.

Latest posts