6.5 Creedmoor Kill

jakeway

6.5 Creedmoor "Hype" isn't hype if it's true. I really like mine, but no more than my 260 Rem. And they both stayed in the safe last Saturday, as I used my Browning A Bolt II in 270 WIN to kill my career 73rd deer. It was a really nice 10 point I shot at 70 yards through a very tight window in the brush.

People sometimes say you don't need pinpoint accuracy to hit the vitals in a deer. That may be true in wide open fields, but when you have to squeeze a bullet through a 6" opening between trees 30 yards from you, and the deer is at 70 yards, you need the confidence and accuracy to pull it off.

Monk74

Congratulations on your buck.Did that look like an infection or a injury? I've got a savage axis 6.5 topped with a Zeiss Conquest 5 by 20. I shoot Federal premium ammo140 gr Berger bullets. Crappy trigger on an otherwise good gun. Terminal performance isn't the best. 3 out of 4 deer didn't have exit wounds.Also 2 misfires on the last 2 boxes. Weak firing pin or over priced sub par ammo?

TN Song Dog

It is a great gun. It copies, but is a tad less than the 260 rem, but I truly think it took off just cause the name sounds cool.

Yes for hunting, but some difference for LR shooting of factory rifles and ammo. You can buy a rifle and CM ammo off the shelf and go shoot 1200yd. 260 can do it, but not well without rebarreling to faster twist and then loading your own ammo with high bc bullets. My theory on the hate is that folks that have tons of time and $ got upset when little Johnny showed up at the range with a sub $1,000 rifle and a box of Hornady from off the internet and were slamming 1000yd(+) steel right next to them and on their first day shooting anything past 100yd. CM Rifles and ammo were a simultaneous and coordinated effort that helped common folk skip the custom route. My $0.02

UTGrad

BTW I can shoot my Rem 700 Sendero 7mm STW no problem but there is something nice about a light recoiling rifle. I can follow through the shot and stay on target through scope. That makes either follow up shots or watching the reaction much easier, especially when zooming in above 10 power.

Joe2Kool

Congrats on the deer! With that foot, he probably wouldn't have made it thru the winter.
Glad u like your 6.5. Guess I can't jump on the bandwagon
But to each his own!! Congrats again!

Joe2Kool

Congrats. I would love to have that exact rifle and cartridge.

The main reason that the 6.5 creed gets flamed is all of the fanboys and otherworldly hype. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it's not the miracle worker that some claim. You are exactly right that it is a perfect deer cartridge: plenty of power, low recoil, readily available ammo and components
Readily available ammo?
I don't think there is such a thing these days!! Unless you're shooting a sling shot

CHRIS WILSON

That's funny I'm guessing most people raving about the 6.5 don't realize they're really just shooting a 260!!
Remington could have owned the 6.5 market with the 260 but they did a piss poor job in marketing when the cartridge was introduced. It's a great round that just never really took off.

Cherokee

Congratulations. I have a T3X in 6.5 and love it. Every trip out I look in the safe and try to decide between it and the Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308. I have never had the opportunity to make a long distance shot (mountains), but hope to someday. I love the Savage but it kicks like a mule. Have taken several deer with both and no noticeable difference in terminal performance so the 6.5 gets picked up more than the .308.

UTGrad

Aren't most .260 rifles offered in a slow twist rate of 1:10? The 6.5 Creedmoor is almost always offered in 1:8 twist thus stabilizing higher BC bullets and maximizing performance.

Latest posts