4onaside - Yellow Perch

farmin68

Had some for supper a couple nights ago. Biggest one went 12 1/2 inches.

They are so good. IMO, better than crappie.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Outof cold water, they are dang sure up there on the eatin scale. I don't now about the ones here, but In Canada, in the summer, you have to watch them for worms in the flesh.

Crosshairy

The ones I caught out of Kentucky Lake didn't have worms (at least none that I saw).

What kind of worms are they? That sounds pretty weird to me...sorta like the nasty warbles inside of squirrels and rabbits in warm weather.

4onaside

Crosshairy said:
The ones I caught out of Kentucky Lake didn't have worms (at least none that I saw).

What kind of worms are they? That sounds pretty weird to me...sorta like the nasty warbles inside of squirrels and rabbits in warm weather.
Yeah, except bot fly larvae(wolves) in rabbits and squirrels are usually between the hide and the meat. Skin the animal and they are gone. The only worms that I have ever encountered in fish were in Grouper, and the worms are randomly in the flesh. I assume that is the case with fresh water fish that have worms,also.

4onaside

farmin, I assume that you are catching them in your honey hole "mystery spot" that you were catching them last year. One of the lads on here, was kind enough to give me some specific information on a spot that I believe is very close to yours. If your catch is very recent(not frozen), I may just get up there in the next week and see if I can catch some. What bait/lures were you currently successful with?

farmin68

4onaside, yes, they were in the mystery spot. Sorry, I'm sworn to secrecy. :)

We caught them last Saturday on crickets, but they like roostertail spinners too.

4onaside

farmin68 said:
4onaside, yes, they were in the mystery spot. Sorry, I'm sworn to secrecy. :)

We caught them last Saturday on crickets, but they like roostertail spinners too.
Well we rehashed the "secret spot" deal last summer to tiredness, so that's a done deal with me. Crickets sounds good to me, and that's what I'll try in the "other" spot from which they have been caught. Besides, if there are no perch, then there are always bream, and small channels just love crickets. Thanks

Latest posts