.444 Marlin

Bone Collector

Hey Guys don't really post in this forum much, but just had my brother call me for a friend asking whether a .444 Marlin is a good gun and whether a lever .444 with 2 boxes of ammo, a case, and a scope for $275-300 is a good deal? Also I guess I should ask is the ammo hard to obtain?

thanks,

Hogbear

I had one back in the early-mid 80's and killed a few deer with it. Only sold it to help pay for college. The deer always dropped right down but that bullet really drops too out past 100 yds. There's a definite delay between firing the gun and seeing the bullet hit the target at anything beyond about 125 yds. Basically a .44 magnum with a longer case. I think the only two factory loadings are 240 and 265 grain bullets. It will sure kill an armadillo at close range with the 240's. :)

JimFromTN

I think the average starting price is around $400 and it goes up from there. Marlin makes them in their XLR model which is stainless with a laminate stock which is probably around $650. Even though I would prefer a 45-70 because the ammo is cheaper, at that price you can't go wrong. I would say it would be a great deer round out to around 100yds or so.