44 or 460?

landman

In the past I have been buying myself a new gun after my 6 month scans, but haven't lately

I'm thinking of a Performance Center S&W 44 or 460 to shoot and hunt with, never shot a 460, and I had a safe queen 44 now.

Any input?

JimFromTN

My brother was into 454 casuals which I have shot and I have a friend in AK who has a 460. The 454 casual is already painful enough to shoot and the 460 is even more powerful. If you don't reload, 460 ammo is about $2 a round. Of course, you can shoot 45 long colt out of it if you are wanting to save money but having to adjust sites or scope every time you want to change from 460 or 45 or vice versa would become annoying for me. I would love to have a 460 with a 5 inch barrel for when I go hunting with my friend in AK. I have both a model 29 and a 629. If I were to get another 44 mag, I would get a redhawk to take to AK. The frames are stronger and can shoot heavier loads. I have taken my 629 but it can't handle the heavier loads that are designed for grizzly defense.

Hunter 257W

For me those high intensity handgun cartridges are just way too loud to shoot even for hunting. You can kill about anything that walks with a 45 Colt loaded to just below the speed of sound using a cast bullet in the 250 to 300 grain range without shattering your ear drums. I never shoot my 44 Magnum anymore for this reason. As far as recoil goes, the 44 Magnum is a lot of fun with ear muffs but to even fire one shot without ear muffs is more than I want and I can't hunt if I can't hear.

If forced to stick to your two candidates I'd for sure go with the 44 Magnum as the 460 S&W is going to be obnoxious with muzzle blast and as Jim mentioned, ammo will be so expensive you'll have to take out a loan to shoot it unless you reload. (I don't recall if you do or not, Landman.)

mr.big

my older brother has a .475 Linebaugh and I shot it one round,,I would just as soon carry a 338 Win Mag rifle,,

a 440 gr bullet at 1400 fps from a pistol is more than a double handful ,,I havent shot a 460 but I figure it would be slightly less punishing as the 475 but I agree with the 45 Long Colt as being a heck of a round that can be loaded to do anything you need from a handgun,,

I noticed one thing from this thread,,it is good we all have brothers,

Jcalder

Tennessee Lead":24szhrze said:
My brother has a 460 and it will break your wrists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it wasn't terrible, but it was thrilling slinging those slugs around 2700fps lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

I regularly shoot a Redhawk 44mag with no issues.
Tried a friends 454 Casul with 3" barrel. It has quite the pop but manageable. In the end, I'll stick with the Redhawk. Plenty of power and ammo is available everywhere.

brass magnet

You didn't say what the safe queen is,but if it's a Ruger, it will kill any thing that walks in N.A. A 460 may kill it deader, but it kills on both ends. S&W prolly has a better trigger to start, but Ruger can be made better, and super redhawk or blackhawk come with scope rings, holla if you need a Burris 4X. Cousin has a Casull, it is not fun, 460 could only be worse!!! :tu:

Latest posts