410 slug

philsanchez76

I actually had this same thought a while back and I couldn't find any rules that said you couldn't do it. I'll be interested if anyone has any first hand knowledge on this.

philsanchez76

Nothing here stating caliber size for slugs

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.07.54 AM.png

Tenntrapper

I'm pretty sure it's legal. That said, you are talking about a 97 grain slug going less than half the speed a 243 can send the same weight bullet. I would think it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Footvolman

I can tell you from personal experience. 42 years ago my father took me on juvenile with 410 slug. Sitting on the side of a ridge looking at another steep ridge just 25 yards away. He told me to shot at does feet. I did and saw it hit above her back. Dad saved up for 243 next year. He later told me it shot 4' high when he tested it. First time hunting and all we had so he went with it. Glad he did was still a great memory and got good laughs over the years talking about it.

Hduke86

I can tell you from personal experience. 42 years ago my father took me on juvenile with 410 slug. Sitting on the side of a ridge looking at another steep ridge just 25 yards away. He told me to shot at does feet. I did and saw it hit above her back. Dad saved up for 243 next year. He later told me it shot 4' high when he tested it. First time hunting and all we had so he went with it. Glad he did was still a great memory and got good laughs over the years talking about it.
I bet y'all did laugh about "the time you shot over it's back" while aiming at its feet. Good memories and laughs for sure with your dad

scn

1000 foot pounds of energy is sort of the accepted minimum for ethical deer hunting. My memory is that the .410 slug falls off pretty quickly. The manufacturers list it as suitable for coyote hunting. I'll stand by my statement on ethical ranges.

A quick check showed the 3" Winchester slug started at only 1066 foot pounds at the muzzle. It quickly goes down from there. A 2.5" slug only starts at 745 ftpds at the muzzle.

Suitable for a coyote, but, IMO, VERY marginal for ethical deer hunting.

Last edited:

Sam Davis

Friend of mine killed a couple deer back in the early 80s with a 410 slug.
I wouldn't use it or a 243. Can't beat a 30-30 for a kid. This is my opinion some people like a 243 but I absolutely hate that caliber know of to many deer shot and never found.

Is it legal in TN to shoot a deer with a 410? Grandson will be 6 next season- shooting off a tri pod. Thanks
I had a hunting buddy, years ago. His sister would show up on opening day to hunt , he always brought a 410 and slugs, seems like she killed one every year with it. I believe it is legal weapon.

BigDave12

There are some great reduced recoil loads out there for a 243. I started my son shooting a 223 around 6 and 7 yrs old (to prep for hunting later) and later had him hunting with a 243 with reduced recoil loads at 8 yrs old. The 223 really helped him avoid the fear of a bigger recoil. Once hunting with the 243, I limited his shots to 75 yds or less and he shot his first deer with that gun and load. The doe ran about 50 yds and piled up. Same as mentioned before though, no pass through at that distance. Great internal damage but no blood trail due to no exit wound. No doubt it would have killed the deer at 100 yds or so too. The lack of an exit wound though really reinforced my decision to limit his range. Fortunately, I knew where she fell and avoided a lost deer. I realized after that, he was going to have to go to full loads very soon and he did so willingly.

A reduced recoil 243 load actually has nearly the same recoil as that full load 223 and that turned out to be great prep for him. If you know someone who reloads, they can also create custom loads for you to try out. This way you can find the maximum load the youngster can handle and minimize the negative effects of the lightest loads. Just an idea that may help you.

Latest posts