.40 cal hammer fired

44 mag

40 S&W will definitely kill one as I have killed several with a G22. All were at point blank due to being hit by a car. If I was looking for a semi to deer hunt with I personally would look for a Glock 40 MOS. If you are not familiar it is a long slide 10MM with the cut outs for a RMR style red dot. The Glock 20 is the same gun but with the standard length slide just like the G22 or G17.

If you want to go the revolver route there is a very nice Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter in 44 mag in the classifieds that would be prefect as well.

Handgun hunting can be addicting.

nashvillefishingguides

40 S&W will definitely kill one as I have killed several with a G22. All were at point blank due to being hit by a car. If I was looking for a semi to deer hunt with I personally would look for a Glock 40 MOS. If you are not familiar it is a long slide 10MM with the cut outs for a RMR style red dot. The Glock 20 is the same gun but with the standard length slide just like the G22 or G17.

If you want to go the revolver route there is a very nice Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter in 44 mag in the classifieds that would be prefect as well.

Handgun hunting can be addicting.
I've killed three with handguns, longest shot, 40 yds. Center punched mature doe who went 50 yds.

41Magnum

As far as revolvers go I think Ruger makes the toughest as far as production revolvers go. 357mag, 41 mag (my favorite and hard to find these days) and of course the 44mag, the 45 Long Colt as well, properly loaded, will and have taken scads of deer. For single shots look at the T/C Contenders and the Encores. The calibers are endless in these handguns in both factory and custom offerings. I haven't hunted with a semi-auto handgun, so for autos the Glocks in 40 cal. can be equipped with longer barrels and the Desert Eagle come to mind. I have shot the Desert Eagle in 357 and 44 mag, both were scoped and shot amazingly accurate and are built like a tank.
As a side note I took a good 8 this year in my 45 cal. muzzleloader handgun and I used a 180 gr. Hornady XTP 40 cal. Shot was around 45-50 yds. complete penetration and a large exit wound.
My .02

Mattt

Longslide 10mm would be my choice. I'll never own one though as I already have a44 mag and a 45 super if you really want something unusual try an hk usp in .460 Rowland.

Cotis

A 6" barrel 10mm longslide in the 1911 style frame is a potent combination. I have looked at them several times for the same reason as you, just haven't pulled the trigger yet (pun intended). My buddy has a Glock G20 in 10mm that he bought off a table at the local gun club swap meet, to me it looks like standing on the stern and looking forward down the deck of an aircraft carrier. Wide, flat, long, with a little hump of a sight front and rear. Put a red dot on it and it would be more interesting to me. I can't blame him for buying it though, I would have also. This will make you sick - pistol, 4 magazines, and ~300 rounds of ammo for $350! Oh the good old days.

A 10mm revolver would be interesting, I believe S&W and Ruger make a model. It has the advantage of being able to shoot .40 S&W for range session practice if you don't want to get beat up (and save some money too as it's cheaper).

Latest posts