4 wheeler carb help

Jcalder

Got this 4 wheeler last fall. Needed some tlc and got it running. Ride it at least once a week around the neighborhood. Last week it started wanting to flood and take a bit to start. Over the weekend I went to take it to the farm and it wouldn't start. Cranked on it and nothing. Got fuel in the air filter box. Took off to Yamaha and got 2 new plugs and a carb kit. Also grabbed 2 cans of carb cleaner while I was in town. Tore it down and put the new kit in. Changed all I could find and still have a few o rings extra. I have no idea where they go but all pilots were changed and new float needle and seat changed. Still won't start. So I've sent a full can of carb thru it, and a rebuild kit rebuild kit. I also found a hole in the carb that according to a a diagram should have a hose but I have no idea where it goes. I can blow air thru it just fine. I don't ever remember hooking anything to it and it's ran fine. My finger is on the hole
225093a695cbe49fa62970b0fddb25ce.jpg

Machine is an 05 Yamaha Bruin 250

Happysack

Sounds to me like you need to adjust your valves. Incorrect valve adjustment will act like carb issues

gtk

Staff member
not saying just how i know... but.. after a carb rebuild, make double dang sure the switch is in the "on" position (honda) when trying to start, else you may end up taking the carb off & putting back together twice before you realize that the switch wasn't on.

i know it doesn't help you now, but i've also learned to take pics with my phone BEFORE disassembling something. i'm a pro at having leftover parts

also, a honda mechanic told me that he usually just replaces the orings, and rarely replaces the jets/needles unless absolutely necessary

Jcalder

gtk":axyz71qo said:
not saying just how i know... but.. after a carb rebuild, make double dang sure the switch is in the "on" position (honda) when trying to start, else you may end up taking the carb off & putting back together twice before you realize that the switch wasn't on.

i know it doesn't help you now, but i've also learned to take pics with my phone BEFORE disassembling something. i'm a pro at having leftover parts

also, a honda mechanic told me that he usually just replaces the orings, and rarely replaces the jets/needles unless absolutely necessary
Luckily the starter works and battery is just a few months old lol. I cranked on it till it was dead and nothing. Fuel was on. Got some smoke to come thru the intake on the air box. I've had the carb in and out probably half a dozen times since November. Had 2 cans of carb cleaner thru it at this point. Ran just fine 2 weeks ago lol. I'm at a loss. I do have a guy around the road I'll probably take it too one evening this week. Just frustrated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcalder

gtk":m13lekc4 said:
will it run on a little shot of ether? are you sure its getting fire?
I haven't tried ether.

It takes some time but it will backfire thru the intake. Doesn't do it every time but I also don't think that's healthy to keep doing it lol

Jcalder

gtk":368s75se said:
start with pulling the plug, hold the ground electrode against/close to engine, and spin over to see if the plug is firing.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. Any idea what gets connected to where my finger is. Fuel line goes in below it and choke is to the left

gtk

Staff member
no idea. i'd google for a carb diagram for your make/model

also, the extra orings may have been "extra". i think honda provides extra orings becaue the carb kits are for multiple variations of carbs

Jcalder

gtk":3geuub3w said:
no idea. i'd google for a carb diagram for your make/model

also, the extra orings may have been "extra". i think honda provides extra orings becaue the carb kits are for multiple variations of carbs
A diagram shows a pipe and hose. But I've never had anything hooked up there

Jcalder

Went by Yamaha. They think it's a vent hose or a vacuum hose. Said if it's a vacuum hose it should go to the air box. But I have no idea where, so I'm gonna say it's a vent. Checked the spark and looks as tho I'm not getting any flame. So I guess I'm headed down another rabbit hole

gtk

Staff member
Jcalder":203gt1w0 said:
Went by Yamaha. They think it's a vent hose or a vacuum hose. Said if it's a vacuum hose it should go to the air box. But I have no idea where, so I'm gonna say it's a vent. Checked the spark and looks as tho I'm not getting any flame. So I guess I'm headed down another rabbit hole

well, if you ever get it running you should be able to figure out real quick whether its a vacuum or vent by holding your finger on it.

if your not getting any spark, you are def going to have to get that figured out before even worrying about the carb. Wish i could help but i'm not very knowledgeable on atv firing system. i can take stuff apart, and sometimes , I can put it back together :) 95% of the time i can google the issues and find a video that is close/same to my problem.

Jcalder

gtk":2r9cshfm said:
Jcalder":2r9cshfm said:

well, if you ever get it running you should be able to figure out real quick whether its a vacuum or vent by holding your finger on it.

if your not getting any spark, you are def going to have to get that figured out before even worrying about the carb. Wish i could help but i'm not very knowledgeable on atv firing system. i can take stuff apart, and sometimes , I can put it back together :) 95% of the time i can google the issues and find a video that is close/same to my problem.
I finally turned the lights off in the garage to verify. I had a spark. Guessing the hole is a vent. Did get it started and drove around the yard. Next time it acts up someone else is looking at it lol

Latest posts