35 rem with 180 gr xtp -- published data?

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I have permission to hunt a small plot that is incredibly thick, 40 yards is a long shot. I have taken a couple of deer in there, neither of which ran over about 40 yards, but even so, they had to be tracked, as they basically disappear into the brush. My 35 Remington does not leave the best blood trail with the 200 gr core-loks, so I want to switch to a different bullet. I have some 180 gr XTP HP's so I am thinking of trying them. I found this flyer in the box so want to keep the velocity below 1750 fps.
xtp_velocities.jpg

According to Lee modern reloading one should be able to reduce IMR 4064 maximum loads by up to 50% safely for CAST bullets.
Same manual gives max load data for 35 Rem, IMR4064,
150 gr jacketed 43gr, 2390 FPS,
200 gr jacketed, 39.5 gr, 2080 FPS

interpolating for 180 gr jacketed on the above data gives
180 gr jacketed, 40.9 gr, 2204 FPS

interpolating the velocity data shows a 49.2 FPS drop in velocity per grain, so an approximate velocity of 1750 FPS with the 180 grain XTP would equate to 31.6 grains of 4064.

Hodgdon online gives IMR4064 data for the 200 grain FTX bullet, 34.1 grs, 1741 FPS with a max of 36.3 at 1861 FPS.

The 31.6 grains seems to be a reasonable estimate.

Last edited:

skipperbrown

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 180 a .357 pistol bullet? I'd be careful making assumptions on load data. I did see some discussion of this bullet in a rifle, but not with 4064. Do a google search. I would start low and work up as you would with any new load and be aware your zero will likely change. You will also need a chrono to find your target velocity.

If you are worried about losing your game in thick brush and don't want to work up a new load from stratch, you can try to line up a tracking dog before you hunt and/or I find neck shots are very effective at dropping deer in their tracks when you don't want them to run. I don't use coreloks but they have a great reputation.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 180 a .357 pistol bullet? I'd be careful making assumptions on load data.
Yes, you are correct, it is primarily a pistol bullet. Since there is data for IMR4064 published for 150 and 200 gr bullets, I feel comfortable using something in between weight wise. I am actually reducing the charge about 10% below published starting loads for the heavier bullet data to get the target velocity.
I do have a chronograph and I did find some related info with a search for reduced loads with pistol bullets, but not specifically for 4064.
Everything I have read indicates that the issue with using pistol bullets is when you push them too fast they turn into hyper expanding varmint bullets. Certainly don't want that.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
sometimes i down load 158gr and 180gr .357 pistol bullets in my 35 whelen for low recoil & plinking
I had a Handi-rifle in 35 Whelen. Kicked like a angry mule, too much recoil for me. I sold it off, but I did collect some data on reloading pistol bullets in it for plinking. That's what gave me the idea to use them in the 35 Rem.

ROVERBOY

You said the 200 gr. Core-Loks don't leave a good blood trail. Do they not exit? I figured they would. I have a friend that says the 150 gr. never exits with a shoulder shot. The 180 gr. XTP might exit with a slower velocity. Worth a try. Good luck with your experiments. I shoot 150 gr. Hornady Interlocks in my .308 and .30-06. With a neck or shoulder shot, they usually will stop under skin on opposite side. I've noticed that with Speer Hot- Core bullets too.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
You said the 200 gr. Core-Loks don't leave a good blood trail. Do they not exit? I figured they would. I have a friend that says the 150 gr. never exits with a shoulder shot. The 180 gr. XTP might exit with a slower velocity. Worth a try. Good luck with your experiments. I shoot 150 gr. Hornady Interlocks in my .308 and .30-06. With a neck or shoulder shot, they usually will stop under skin on opposite side. I've noticed that with Speer Hot- Core bullets too.
They do exit, I just don't think I am getting much in the way of expansion which is why I am thinking about trying the XTP's.