.308 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Rammer Jammer

I know this topic has probably been wore out. I really want the 6.5....... but the thing that keeps pulling me to the 308 is you can get ammo for it anywhere. I believe overtime the 6.5 will be that way, but as of now the 308 leads in ammo. But on the other hand, are they pretty equal on killing deer? I know the 308 is bigger..... but the 6.5 has great sectional density for great expansion and penetration. The gun would also be used for 500-600 yard plinking. Thoughts? Will either caliber drop a deer and if not even flinch like I've read the 7mm-08 does?

hillbillyfab

Rammer Jammer":1t1ttb29 said:
I know this topic has probably been wore out. I really want the 6.5....... but the thing that keeps pulling me to the 308 is you can get ammo for it anywhere. I believe overtime the 6.5 will be that way, but as of now the 308 leads in ammo. But on the other hand, are they pretty equal on killing deer? I know the 308 is bigger..... but the 6.5 has great sectional density for great expansion and penetration. The gun would also be used for 500-600 yard plinking. Thoughts? Will either caliber drop a deer and if not even flinch like I've read the 7mm-08 does?
I say get what you want. You really want a 6.5? Might as well get it. If you ain't happy with it, you shouldn't have any trouble selling/trading it with the popularity of it.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

bloodtrailing

308 has been doing it all for a long time before a new cartridge was developed to do the same things in a newer name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

My thought would be the 308 would run rings around it.

However.

There are some 6mm shooters who would rub my nose in their results....and that is the problem.

With today's computing power, metallurgy, and plain old range results the 6 is proving that might is not always right.

Exactly how this is happening is beyond me because wind should move a 6 more than a 30.

It could be the predictability of a 6 makes wind adjustments more solid/reliable and thusly, easier to make.

Maybe the 5R really is the answer.

I would get both. I already own 4 rifles that shoot .308 bullets so I may get one myself.

Urban_Hunter

There's really nothing the 308 does that the creedmoor doesn't do better. I own a few 308s and am really committed to the cartridge, but the Creedmoor is impressive and if I could trade all my components and rifles straight up for 6.5 it would be hard not to. If I were to jump on the 6.5 wagon I'd probably do so in the x47L or the 260, just to make sure people didn't assume me to be metrosexual

280longshot

I think you're trying to think too much about what is better for your needs and reading your post you're talking about killing power, ammo availability, and 500-600 yd plinking.

When long distance shooters compare the two they are thinking in terms of which one has a higher BC for less drop, wind drift.
Facts are the 6.5 140 gr has a high BC and therefore will drop less and have less wind drift.

Beyond 300 yards, skill, accuracy, shootability, and sight settings will have more influence than trajectory.

Both of those calibers will do what you're wanting.

vonb

I have both a .308 and a .260. I enjoy shooting the .260 (close but not a 6.5 CM) more. Less recoil and better ballistics.

If I had to start over today, I'd go 6.5 CM and not look back.

jakeway

I have a 260 and a 6.5 CM, and my son has a 308. I reload for all of them.

Get the 6.5 Ammo availability is no longer a problem.

The 6.5 is just as effective as the 308 on critters up to and including elk. The 6.5 can be loaded with bullets as light as 85 grain, making it very effective on coyotes and larger varmints. The 308 really can't go much below 150 gr bullets, especially in off-the-shelf ammo.

To get the most performance out of ANY cartridge, get into hand loading. Then the question of ammo availability becomes a moot point. Once you have the press, scales, and a few other tools, all you need for a new caliber is a set of dies. You can pay for the dies in saving after only a couple boxes, and after the the cost per round is about half compared to factory ammo.

Latest posts