300 win mag, thoughts?

Deer444

Debating between getting another 308 or 7mm-08 (I have one of each currently) or saying the heck with it and going biggy and getting a 300 win mag. Whichever caliber I go with I am leaning towards the Mossberg Patriot, with the walnut stock. Wood stocks are calling my name lately. It would be used mostly for dear and possibly a couple of trips out west in the next few years if I can get my stuff together for an elk hunt, maybe North East Moose hunt.

I know both the 308 and 7mm-08 are capable of handling elk or moose. The 300 would be more of a want than a need. I know it's overkill for deer and a little worried about overkill on my shoulder but one of those calibers that have been rolling around in my want list for a few years.
I would go with 7mm its all purpose but I would do the Ruger precision camo cercote tbe price is not much different I have it in 450 bushmaster deadly accurate my buddy has it in 6.5 Creedmoor great rifle

TheLBLman

Many years ago I had a rifle made specifically that I could use for anything in North America, just get good at shooting that one rifle. It remains my "go to" gun for almost anything and everything. Choices were not as great then as today, but I see no reason to change.
.300 Weatherby gets my vote.

Regardless what you choose, you probably need to load your own cartridges to be assured of future supply, especially in the exact load(s) you want.

medic

I bought a Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM this year and love it. Recoil isn't that bad. I haven't shot it much but I can put 3 touching at 200 yds, that is the furthest I have shot it.

Labboy

That is all I have used for the last 30 or so years. I was born and raised in Indiana. We couldn't hunt with rifles there. So growing up shooting a 12 guage slug gun as a kid out of trees long before a tree stand was even thought of. I was just happy when I would pull the trigger on a deer and be able to remain in the tree. So after I got out of the army I moved to Tennessee in 1989. Shot a friend's .300 and loved em every since. People talked about them kicking and I thought they were crazy if they thought that kicked. I have the scars on my forehead from true kickin guns. I was just a young kid who loved hunting deer so much I just hunted with what we had a cheap mule kickin 12 guage slug gun. Just loved the chance to finally use a rifle at 22 years old for the first time to hunt deer without getting popped in the face by a short slug barrel.

BSK

If I KNEW I was going elk/moose hunting, probably go with a 300 Mag. However, I love my 7mm-08 and 308. Both are tack-driving death dealers.

I would also recommend taking other's suggestions and try shooting the 300. Ouch. Also, the other day a friend "tried out" his new 300 Mag - with muzzle break - on a doe at 275 yards from a shooting house. Hammered the doe. And he still can't hear out of his left ear!

CBU93

If I KNEW I was going elk/moose hunting, probably go with a 300 Mag. However, I love my 7mm-08 and 308. Both are tack-driving death dealers.

I would also recommend taking other's suggestions and try shooting the 300. Ouch. Also, the other day a friend "tried out" his new 300 Mag - with muzzle break - on a doe at 275 yards from a shooting house. Hammered the doe. And he still can't hear out of his left ear!
Can definitely attest to no muzzlebrake on a .300!

jemo4570

30 cal for everything.
300wm for longer range shots like on power lines or west tn bean/corn fields.
308 for everything else.
Definitely do not use a brake on any gun if there is a possibility you might shoot it in a holler! Huh.......
I've had short action 6mm(243) and 7mm bullets stop at off side shoulders and not leave a blood trail. In my experience, they work on broadside, behind the shoulder shots only.
Majority of deer shot by me are 150+ lb on the hoof.

timberghost35

I have always shot a 30.06 until this yr. went out and wanted the Tikka that is wood with a stainless fluted barrel. Only on I could find was a 7mag. That thing is bad to the bone! Only prob now is finding decent bullets for it.

fairchaser

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 300 WM with a 6-24x50 Vortex HST and added a muzzle break. I have a hand load in a 180 gr hornady interlock that runs 3000 FPS+. It will shoot 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards and it's a pleasure to shoot. I don't use it for southern whitetails, but it's going on a moose hunt this fall. The outfitter told me the 300 wm was the right gun for this hunt.

Attachments

• A8F4BAC2-DA6A-4B36-B659-FBE7B8179D96.jpeg
    A8F4BAC2-DA6A-4B36-B659-FBE7B8179D96.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 89

Sako

I have owned all of them... One thing I would say is to find one that you can shoot the best. With modern bullets today, you will be good with any of them. I have an 30-06 that shoots incredibly well and I can seem to hit anything with it... I have a 338 wm that is the same way... They are just stupid accurate and I know anything I point them at is going to die. That confidence is far more important than any cal....

DeerCamp

Many years ago I had a rifle made specifically that I could use for anything in North America, just get good at shooting that one rifle. It remains my "go to" gun for almost anything and everything. Choices were not as great then as today, but I see no reason to change.
.300 Weatherby gets my vote.

Regardless what you choose, you probably need to load your own cartridges to be assured of future supply, especially in the exact load(s) you want.
Is your custom gun also a 300?

DeerCamp

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 300 WM with a 6-24x50 Vortex HST and added a muzzle break. I have a hand load in a 180 gr hornady interlock that runs 3000 FPS+. It will shoot 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards and it's a pleasure to shoot. I don't use it for southern whitetails, but it's going on a moose hunt this fall. The outfitter told me the 300 wm was the right gun for this hunt.
Gorgeous gun!

Snake

Nice looking weapon FC !

Latest posts