30-30 Load

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
30gr IMR 3031 with a 170gr bullet
31gr IMR 3031 with a 150gr bullet
These are "classic " loads that are now deemed too hot and should be reduced by 1-2gr for max, but visit IMR/Hodgdon's website for specifics.

4064, 4895, Varget, AA2460, and RL15 all work well, also.

GOODWIN

Ended up loading some 150gr Sierra FN over Varget. What I had on hand. Hopefully hit the range soon.not going to spend a lot of time on this one. Minute of deer will be fine. Thanks

Hunter 257W

I haven't shot my 30-30 in probably close to 20 years but I'd love to try it with this bullet some day.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... cts_id=307

This is one of a series of bullets known under the "Ranchdog" name (I have no idea where that name came from :)) and they were made using reworked existing LEE molds. The whole line of bullets have the big flat nose in common with the intention of being used for hunting. The original Ranchdog guy quit a few years ago and sold all his designs to NOE molds. I'd get it with a gas check and go as soft as i could without excessive leading and as you said, get minute of deer accuracy and emphasize terminal performance rather that absolute best accuracy. All the reviews for these bullets say they perform very well on deer.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Hunter 257W":1vhhnfqp said:
I haven't shot my 30-30 in probably close to 20 years but I'd love to try it with this bullet some day.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... cts_id=307

This is one of a series of bullets known under the "Ranchdog" name (I have no idea where that name came from :)) and they were made using reworked existing LEE molds. The whole line of bullets have the big flat nose in common with the intention of being used for hunting. The original Ranchdog guy quit a few years ago and sold all his designs to NOE molds. I'd get it with a gas check and go as soft as i could without excessive leading and as you said, get minute of deer accuracy and emphasize terminal performance rather that absolute best accuracy. All the reviews for these bullets say they perform very well on deer.
Ranch Dog was the internet handle from the Marlin Owners' Forum of the designer of the series of moulds. The crux of the design is a long nose with a wide meplat that will feed well in lever guns, but also leave a wide permanent wound channel and penetrate deeply when hard cast. This is usually done by using straight wheel weights and water quenching straight from the mould.

GOODWIN

Would love to start casting just ain't got the time right now.

The Sierra FP is not feeding that well in my gun. The meplate seems to be catching on something. My try to shorten my OAL A bit and see if that helps.

Hunter 257W

Does that Sierra bullet have a crimp groove? If it does i'd expect it to be right for most 30-30's. Regardless I agree that changing the seating depth a bit is about all you can do to get a given bullet to feed. Feeding is always a risk with a cast bullet and if you can't get it to work you're just stuck with a mold you can't use. Or you can use the sunk cost of the useless mold as an excuse to buy another rifle which I've done before. :) I fully understand the time of casting being something that everybody can't do. It does take time.

Latest posts