2nd rut, yet?

deerhunter10

On one of our places we are still waiting on the first it seems. If I didn't know any better I would bet that we wouldn't have any fawns this spring. Craziest year I've ever hunted in my life. Usually the 2nd rut is going on now there. That place it seems as if the deer have been in a crazy survival mode since early November. Bsk should chime in and give you some good info.

philsanchez76

Im in Rutherford county and ive notices the past few days the scrape cams have picked back up with several bucks hitting them as well as a big buck getting hit running across a road on our way home form dinner about 3 night ago. Ive not been out in the woods too much last 2 weeks though so havn't seen any other first hand signs of the second rut.

megalomaniac

Usually Dec 18th is start of 2nd rut on my places, with most intensity Dec 20 thru 23. Should be right on time on my farms, as 1st rut was exactly on time.

The only thing I noticed different about this year is that 1st rut drug on a little longer than normal. I'm guessing that's because I had so many wet does compared to years past, so I had more than normal go into estrus a tad later. Normally my farms are dead Dec 1st and bucks are nocturnal, but I had more daylight activity the few first days of Dec in a LONG time

gatodoc

TN is a wide state with different timing of deer activity in different areas.

It would be great if you would identify your location when posting observations.

I hunted Fayette Co yesterday in the rain and saw nada. This morning saw 2 does and dropped one. The primary rut seemed a week late here this year. I anticipate better buck activity next week. Will keep you posted.

Ski

If our first rut timing is any indication, our 2nd rut should be between Christmas and New Years. May have to give a try then for "last hunt of the year."

Same here. I shot both of my bucks while actively tending does. One on Nov 28th and the other on Nov 29th. Last I checked cams bucks were still searching and tending on the Dec 7th.

That puts second rut "chasing" at right before & through Christmas and breeding/tending going through the new year. Coffee County.

double browtine

I saw a decent, probably 2.5 yr old 8 pt following a doe as I was pulling out of my road on Tuesday morning. I stopped and opened the door and stepped out so they would get on into the woods and out of my neighbors back yard before he got shot at.

BigCityBubba

Around here, the primary rut occurred perfectly with muzzleloader season. I think I saw more bucks chasing doe this year than I ever have. I have not seen anything to indicate the 2nd rut has started.

lafn96

Usually Dec 18th is start of 2nd rut on my places, with most intensity Dec 20 thru 23. Should be right on time on my farms, as 1st rut was exactly on time.

The only thing I noticed different about this year is that 1st rut drug on a little longer than normal. I'm guessing that's because I had so many wet does compared to years past, so I had more than normal go into estrus a tad later. Normally my farms are dead Dec 1st and bucks are nocturnal, but I had more daylight activity the few first days of Dec in a LONG time
If that's the case; could be very good late next week with the cold front that's going to hit at that time

TNlandowner

I have six cameras on my farm that is 15 miles south of Paris... Second rut has dwindled down to small yearling bucks walking around field edges in daylight. Camera activity indicated the peak of the first rut was 4-8 November. The Second rut was drawn out between 28 Nov - 7 December. I noticed something new this year. The yearling does were being bred by 1.5 year old bucks in daylight. Older bucks were nocturnal, walking alone without does.

BigCityBubba

I have six cameras on my farm that is 15 miles south of Paris... Second rut has dwindled down to small yearling bucks walking around field edges in daylight. Camera activity indicated the peak of the first rut was 4-8 November. The Second rut was drawn out between 28 Nov - 7 December. I noticed something new this year. The yearling does were being bred by 1.5 year old bucks in daylight. Older bucks were nocturnal, walking alone without does.
Thats interesting. The rut around here probably lasted around a week. I shot an 8pt chasing a doe on Nov 10 and had an opportunity to shoot another buck about a week later that wasn't chasing but was definitely following a doe. Hopefully our 2nd will be later than yours and I will catch the tail end this weekend. I can hope at least.

mike243

Almost hit a buck today up in Sneedville, he came off a bank and I barely missed him, he ran 250y or so to the river, I seen him take a drink when I made a right turn then he hit the water, as I came down the road on the other side he came out of the river and looked up at the road as I went by

Latest posts