22lr, 22 magnum or 17 hmr

BetterDaniel

I've killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with just .22lr. Never had a problem. I have .22mag that I used to shoot rabbits and ground hogs in the field across from my back deck between 75 and 100yds. For me it was always an issue of distance between .22lr and .22mag. That and my 10/22 just isn't a 100yd gun.

redblood

I've killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with just .22lr. Never had a problem. I have .22mag that I used to shoot rabbits and ground hogs in the field across from my back deck between 75 and 100yds. For me it was always an issue of distance between .22lr and .22mag. That and my 10/22 just isn't a 100yd gun.
Ruger 10/22s are not know for accuracy

ImThere

How bad is a 10/22? I just bought one and haven't shot it. If it's not a squirrel gun I'll get rid of it before the disappointment

Tenntrapper

How bad is a 10/22? I just bought one and haven't shot it. If it's not a squirrel gun I'll get rid of it before the disappointment
They work fine for squirrel guns. They aren't THAT bad. I hunted with one for years. Thinking about getting another one..and I'll hunt with it to.

My point was..if I was going to put that kind of money into a 22....a 10/22 isn't where I would start.

BetterDaniel

Just curious, what kind of groups does it shoot at 100?
I have my old targets ill have to look at them, but I want to say I was inside of quarters (on average) with 5 shot groups cci minimags. Minimags were the only thing I could get to group well. The worst was cci stingers.

mike243

My 10/22T is a tack driver, heavy though, much prefer my marlin 7000 for bushy tails if I have to walk a lot , son had a Remington 597? pos

BetterDaniel

I have a stock 10/22 I use thats light enough to lug across the side of ridge comfortably. It shoots well enough for squirrels and rabbits. I dont take shots more than 50yds typically squirrel hunting anyway.

Tenntrapper

I have my old targets ill have to look at them, but I want to say I was inside of quarters (on average) with 5 shot groups cci minimags. Minimags were the only thing I could get to group well. The worst was cci stingers.
If you haven't tried a more "premium" ammo in it, you should give it a try. My daughter's 10/22 was shooting mini mags at what I would call average, for a 10/22. I switched her to SK standard plus, and her groups were cut more than in half..and it functioned fine.

mike243

Ya know its been close to 10 years since I was shooting a lot of 22 ammo , I never shot any of the hyper rounds because the case is longer than normal ammo, the federal blue box and I have forgotten the number was the most consistent on long strings with most of my rifles. 1 thing I learned quickly is keep the bottom action screw tight or you cant hit a barn with it, my 7000 would out shoot it I believe if it had a better trigger, a good 22 scope is needed if you want to shoot the same hole, need 1 that will have a lot smaller adjustment than a standard high power 1/4" at 100y , never bought or looked into getting 1. I have a small stash off cci standard velocity that seems to shoot well. the only FTF I have bought in the last few years was the Federal auto match, its accurate enuf but you never know when 1 wont have any primer in it, ran thru several boxes and 4-6 duds per box, I quit buying it

Latest posts