223 rifling twist question...

Tenntrapper

I just acquired a Rem 700 223. This one has the 24", 1/12 twist.
I'm wanting to load the Nosler 64g bonded solid base for it. I know this is a little heavy for a 12 twist, but it is a very short, FB bullet...almost round nose. Nosler load data is based on a 12 twist, but would like to know if anyone has tried this bullet in a 12 twist bolt gun. If so, did it stabilize? How did it perform etc.? I've used this bullet in 22-250, and like how it performs.... hoping I can use in the 223.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tenntrapper

Proper twist rate ratio is actually based on bullet length and rpm, not bullet weight. Generally speaking, bullets get heavier as they get longer. Round nose bullets are shorter than spitzer bullets of the same weight. You can also increase rpm with more velocity. The only way to know for sure is to load some and shoot.
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the length/weight aspect, that's why I pointed out that they were fairly short bullets. I don't mean that to sound smart arsed... sincerely.
Just looking for some real world experience, if any is available.
Thank you again for the reply.

Mausermeister

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the length/weight aspect, that's why I pointed out that they were fairly short bullets. I don't mean that to sound smart arsed... sincerely.
Just looking for some real world experience, if any is available.
Thank you again for the reply.
No offense taken. A lot of people don't know it's length that matters, not weight. I will say that I have been able to stabilize 77gr SMKs out to 400 yards from a 1:9 barrel in 223 Rem by increasing velocity. Loads are well above published max in a bolt gun with 26" bull barrel using brass fire formed in same gun and only neck sized. I would not shoot these loads in any other gun, especially not an AR or any other semi-auto.

DaveB

I think @Deer Assassin has used the 64 grainer quite a bit.

I know the 60 gr Partition is a fine performer in the 224 rifles, fast or slow twist. My recipe for the 60 is 24 grains of H335 or 24.5 of Shooters World Tactical Rifle. Tip of the hat to the SW charge as the accuracy does seem to be a hair better.

Whichever bullet you can lay your hands on should prove quite satisfactory.

PS: I know for a fact you cannot shoot anything heavier than the 64--the upset occurs at the muzzle.

Latest posts