223 question

bigrob

I was asking the other day about 223 round for a kid on this juvenile. The Gun is a ruger american with 1-8 twist. My question is how heavy of a bullet wit it stabilize

Remi

1/8 twist will handle the longer heavier bullets like the 77 Sierra TMK.

Good thread on rokslide where guys are killing things very dead with them.

Lots of bullet options with an 8 twist.

Federal Fusion and Barnes Vortex are also great options.

Talome13

Will the longer heavy's fit in the Ruger mag? I plan on using 556/223 exclusively this year. My bullet of choice will be a 62gr TSX.

Robtattoo

Not in the rotary, no. Well, i mean, they will, but you won't be able to take full advantage.
If you really want to get the best out of them, you'll want to swap out the bottom metal ($36 from Ruger) to accept AICS mags, then use an MDT magazine that'll let you load up to 2.55"
However..... they are notorious for having a short throat.

Now, mostly, that's not a problem. But being the tinker-fiend & performance junkie that i am, i actually had the chamber recut so i could load the 77s right out to 2.5"

Also, the 62gn TSX might surprise you. It's really not great in a .223. Yes, you get deep wounding, but there are a TON of reports of very slow kills, long tracking jobs & poor blood trails. The 77gn TMKs or 62gn Fusions are a much better bang-flop proposition.

DaveB

Hmmm. Too late in the season. Here. PM me your address I'll send you 20. Price is you owe me 20 when and if they ever get back on the shelf.

SAM_0341.JPG

DaveB

Yes, these punch right straight through. If you need primed brass let me know. My go to load if you have H335 is 25 grains and in both my bolt 223's the chambers are so tight I am at SAAMI max and getting sub MOA with my eyes.

Kill many, we may be at your doorstep if we don't carry this election.

Talome13

Not in the rotary, no. Well, i mean, they will, but you won't be able to take full advantage.
If you really want to get the best out of them, you'll want to swap out the bottom metal ($36 from Ruger) to accept AICS mags, then use an MDT magazine that'll let you load up to 2.55"
However..... they are notorious for having a short throat.

Now, mostly, that's not a problem. But being the tinker-fiend & performance junkie that i am, i actually had the chamber recut so i could load the 77s right out to 2.5"

Also, the 62gn TSX might surprise you. It's really not great in a .223. Yes, you get deep wounding, but there are a TON of reports of very slow kills, long tracking jobs & poor blood trails. The 77gn TMKs or 62gn Fusions are a much better bang-flop proposition.
Great response, thank you

Latest posts