.223 for Deer?

HuntnMoon

I just saw the new Regs and apparently .223 is legal now for deer. Anyone have and experience with this and do you have a recommendation as far as a round that works well on deer?

rem270

For a small kid that wasnt big enough to handle a 243 id be all for it.

But for an adult theres no way anyone should use a 223.. Theres just better and bigger calibers to choose from.

280longshot

I'd say that I would agree with rem270 on this one cause of my experience hunting with a juv.
What I experienced was very little or no blood to trail with a broadside shot through the lungs.

Now in the hands of an experienced marksman, a neck shot, head shot, will on the other hand require no tracking. Ha
I have seen many a dead whitetail fall to a neck shot with a similar round, the 22-250!!!.

Redfred16

This topic again?

The correct .223/5.56 is just fine for deer, but has it's limitations like all the smaller caliber rifles. It will do just as much if not more damage to a deer than a broadhead. So unless you are against bow hunting, then you do not have any reason to be against using the .223/5.56.

Hunter 257W

I think the 375H&H should be the new minimum for deer in TN. Well, it's slow here with deer season behind us and just thought I'd generate a little controversy. :)

Hunter 257W

OK, let me try again. With the proper bullets, I think TWRA should make the 14 Flea(32ACP necked to 14 caliber) legal for deer and hogs. After all, it's shot placement that counts, right?? :)

Latest posts